No announcement yet.

CIVILIZATIONS (ver2.1): hosted by LordStone1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maby the alien tribes can be like godie huts in space.

Comment

This has turned from the Viking thread to the Alien thread. IMO, these threads should be used for new suggestions rather than continuous discussions.

Please use this thread http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HTML/000703.html
      for more opinions about aliens.
      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Ecce Homo (edited July 07, 1999).]</font>
      The best ideas are those that can be improved.
      Ecce Homo

Comment

I was saying that the aliens should come at a certain time in the late 20th century. Maybe sometime in the fifties a strange explosion happens and maybe destorys an improvement. You would get all freaked out and wonder what it was and send out units to see what it was, but it's gone by the time you get there. You may blame someone else for it even though they didn't do it. Later when space flight comes around even more of these units pop up and leave to fast for you to find them. They could fly over your cities and startle the people making a few unhappy. You then start searching for them and start SETI to find them but don't. Wait a second! This sounds a whole lot like what really has happened in history. So whoever said that Civilization is a historical game is right, it *IS* a historical game but aliens are part of our history.

BTW, my Alien friend is very mad by everyone's comments. Have to go, here come the men in white coats!

------------------
        Acctually I'm a genetically altered lab mouse plotting to take over the world!
        The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
        I am the Tofu, you are the Anti-Christ. Goob goob kajoob.

Comment

Sounds like X-COM meets MOO2.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Brain: LOL!

Aliens yeah why not, it's a game. But there should be an option to switch them off for the more skeptical minded players. And aliens shouldn't appear in every game, maybe 1 in 20. They could be just passing by and leave mysterious debris behind (like in Strugatsky's (sp?) scifi novel Stalker) for humans to investigate. Of course they might also launch a cliche full-scale invasion instead.

Comment

I think there should be an option to turn it off the aliens even though *I* wouldn't. Also it should happen like 1 in 20 because then you'd be ready for it. You would have everything ready after you make the atomic bomb to find them. Maybe when you discover Space Flight the chances increase, then they increase more after you make The Apollo Program, then even more after you make SETI, and so on...

Now my alien friend is happy! Uh oh here come the men in white coats again! NO! AH! !@#$%^!&!...

------------------
              Acctually I'm a genetically altered lab mouse plotting to take over the world!
              The Brain: Weirdo who takes modern culture and stabs it in the eye
              I am the Tofu, you are the Anti-Christ. Goob goob kajoob.

Comment

Alright, ENOUGH!!!
                Quit it with the freaking aliens already!!!
                I DON'T want any aliens in civ3, I don't even want to see an option for it!!! The programmers are going to have enough work cut out for them w/o worrin' about a bunch of #$*^&*(^&(&*##/] martians!

You want aliens, make a scenario, or wait for expansion disk!

No aliens! No, no, no, no, no, NO!!!
                *has stroke*
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Nix
                  <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Theben (edited July 09, 1999).]</font>

Comment

Theben man relax, you are taking this sooo seriously...

/SPOCK MODE ON/
                    I estimate there is very little or no chance of aliens being implemented in CIV3. Though a fascinating idea...
                    /SPOCK MODE OFF/

Feel better?

Comment

I believe it is about time for som new ideas...

If barbarians captured a city, they could create a new civ.

Ecce Homo

Comment

Yeah, I'm okay, deep breaths...better. Thanks.

Ecch,
                        How about generic neutral civs that spit out units every now & again? When they take a city they may just loot it or add to their "empire" (it becomes a neutral city)? Kind of like Masters of Magic.

Comment

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or another....
                          For the most part "barbarians" were no long a threat by the 1500s or so, and many of the cultures which Europe (sorry about the western bias here) consider "barbaric" should be civs in the game (turks, mongels, etc.). In civ2 they replace barbarians with religious fanatics and peasant rebellions, but it seriously bothered me when my advanced, democratic civ had a "peasant rebellion" which I had to devert tanks to crush. Once a civ reaches a "modern" stage be it year or technology, the outcroping of barbarians should be replace by terrorist attacks. So essentially, the threat to civs change over time (or technology). Barbarians to peasant rebellions to religious fanatics and terrorists.
                          On a slightly different note, if barbarians or revolting peasants or whatever stay too long with out being attacked, then they should found thier own cities and become a small city-state.

Comment

I'm for any way new civs can be created during a course of a game (I loved the schism thing). But I feel its great because it adds variety and realism, mainly since the number of nations have doubled in the last 50 yrs. That and in scenarios I feel constrained by having only 7 civs try to represent a situation at any given time (ww2 with multiple allies and axis would be a headache but a good challenge )

A neutral civ function should be set up. (or more than one neutral civ). They'd be non-players like barbarians but mainly only engage in trade, and attacking them would trigger reputation and diplomatic consequences.
                            <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by E (edited July 11, 1999).]</font>
                            Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

I posted most of this some time ago and some in other threads, but it's time again, and anything is better than more postings about Alien Vikings...
                              Early-game Barbarians should be a generic for all the 'minor civs' folk talk about: they should have more options than just attack anything that moves- provide trading partners, info about other civs they contact, middle-men for tech transfers (tech diffusion should be part of the game, but that's another Thread)
                              Many early civilizations would start without agriculture, as nomadic civs. I've posted (in City Improvements) a list of Improvements to the Tribe, a mobile form of 'city' that would be their population base. Barbarians could turn into either these, or by conquest into a settled 'city' civ.
                              Civilizations should be able to split off from the starting civs. If you've got cities on a distant island or continent, the Unhappiness/Inefficiency points from distance should translate into Rebellion after a time unless you take serious Social and Political steps to avoid it. Resulting Civ could be shown by a shield divided in half: a new color and the original civ's color.
                              This is all part of providing more Variety in the game: civs with variable starting positions (Nomadic Herders, Settled Farmers), Barbaians that can turn into Civs, Civs that can start from another civ. It all makes for more challenging games, and a more realistic historical model.

Comment

I posted most of this some time ago and some in other threads, but it's time again, and anything is better than more postings about Alien Vikings...
                                Early-game Barbarians should be a generic for all the 'minor civs' folk talk about: they should have more options than just attack anything that moves- provide trading partners, info about other civs they contact, middle-men for tech transfers (tech diffusion should be part of the game, but that's another Thread)
                                Many early civilizations would start without agriculture, as nomadic civs. I've posted (in City Improvements) a list of Improvements to the Tribe, a mobile form of 'city' that would be their population base. Barbarians could turn into either these, or by conquest into a settled 'city' civ.
                                Civilizations should be able to split off from the starting civs. If you've got cities on a distant island or continent, the Unhappiness/Inefficiency points from distance should translate into Rebellion after a time unless you take serious Social and Political steps to avoid it. Resulting Civ could be shown by a shield divided in half: a new color and the original civ's color.
                                This is all part of providing more Variety in the game: civs with variable starting positions (Nomadic Herders, Settled Farmers), Barbaians that can turn into Civs, Civs that can start from another civ. It all makes for more challenging games, and a more realistic historical model.

Comment

Working...
                                X