Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments from Brian Reynolds about The List

Hi Yin,

Received the Civ3 list! Thanks very much to you and everyone participating. I like your "if just one idea" spirit, and believe me if that's the direction you're approaching it from you're going to be very happy.

My suggestion as to the best way to proceed from here is to continue to maintain the "big list" as a "living document"... rather than starting a "new" list, continue discussing, elaborating, etc. But of course you guys are volunteers working for free because you love the game system, so by all means take it in whatever direction you think best.

For example the "ICS" commentary points out a very valid criticism of the system, but lacks an analysis of (different) ways to avoid the problem.

Some of the best suggestions are the ones which marry a cool concept from history (e.g. "You should include the development of the Stirrup") with a thought out game effect ("Which gives all your horse units +1 to their attack strength") -- which is vastly more likely to provoke thought than either "You should include the Stirrup" or "You should have some techs that increase a units' combat factors" by itself.

I know it's tough to be patient, but we're still putting together a prototype and it will be a while before we're ready to do even preliminary alpha/beta testing. But it's definitely great to see where the fans think the game should go.

Feel free to share this message w/ the other participants!

--Brian Reynolds
    Civilization III Designer
    FIRAXIS Games
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited July 15, 1999).]</font>
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Free? What's this free talk? I want money, dammit! But I'll be willing to settle for guaranteed beta-tester status.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hrm.. a bit of a tunaround.. I was under the impression that Firaxis wanted ideas but NOT specific implementations.

Comment

NLT,

I guess we have some work to do!
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I just want apology from Brian Reynolds about his rash CTP comments earlier, when CTP was just developing.
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

What was so rash about them? Comparing it to somebody other than LucasArts doing a Star Wars sequel is an exact parallel. And he didn't neccesarily say it was going to be bad.

Not that it didn't turn out to be mediocre anyway, which doesn't pass my game-buying muster.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

**rereads the Brian post**

What is the ICS commentary?
              <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by NotLikeTea (edited July 15, 1999).]</font>

Comment

Infinite City Sleaze
                Reread 'City/City Improvements'!
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

"I like your "if just one idea" spirit, and believe me if that's the direction you're approaching it from you're going to be very happy." - BR

Does that mean Brian only found one idea in the list to his liking?

Comment

Working...
                  X