Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Making the List/Running the Forum(ver1.1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Making the List/Running the Forum(ver1.1)

O.K., I'm carrying over the most popular issue to start us off:

MAKING THE FORUM EASIER TO USE:

Is it possible now to combine some threads? Is it possible in certain cases to drop threads that are no longer generating enough discussion? etc... Are there creative answers to all this not yet offered?
    I'll e-mail Thread Masters on this as well...

As always, I'm listening to your feedback and trying to make things easier and more productive for all of us.

By the way, if you have any "Die Yin, DIE!" suggestions, please send me an e-mail so that this space can remain as helpful and positive as possible. Thanks.

Yin

------------------
    CIV3 DEVELOPMENT LIST COORDINATOR

**(un)Officially Making Lists for Firaxis Since SMAC Enhancement 3!**
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Graphics and Game Atmosphere are soooo compaitable.

So are Regional/City Menu and Player Interface.

And I can't help but feel that Combat and Units somehow fit together.

[This message has been edited by LordStone1 (edited May 25, 1999).]
    The honorary duty of a human being
    is to love, I am human and nothing
    human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

I might create some enemies among the thread masters but here goes with several...

1) Sound and music should be added to graphics. These things should be addressed and this is the natural place.

2) Religion should be combined with social engineering.

3) Cross-platforms is an issue, not a topic. Add it to Other.

4) Borders should be combined with Other or AI -- damn, Lancer, you've got some great ideas, but it just doesn't seem to fit as a thread...

5) Perhaps space exploration should be combined with another thread.

6) I would like to say that Atmosphere should be combined with something, but it's very popular, so I don't know.

My suggestions are mainly due to seeing AI at the bottom of the stack. BR is probably going to be spending about 1/3 of his time on the AI, so it should be near the top always. We need to keep focus on giving BR something useful.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Also, even though it seems like it's far away, it would be good to decide what we want from BR after we hand him the ideas. For instance, we could ask him to pinpoint certain topics on which he would like us to brainstorm more.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The threads should handle the topics in a way the receiver (Firaxis) can make the most out of them - and that is we must try to match the threads with their (Firaxis') subdivisions.

They definitely do NOT have subdivisions for borders and the like, all that (including combat etc.) being part of the big "AI crew". Then comes graphics, interface... and I created the "atmosphere" thread because that's the playground of the game designers, with all those things definitely not necessary but oh so lovely for the player. The "atmosphere" things typically do not have a high impact on programming, but certainly on graphics, but include many more things that do not fit into the other categories.

On the other hand, be sure that the topics "units","movement" and "combat" will be handled by the same people over at Firaxis, since you can't do one thing without the other.

Well, if we took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy, would they?

Comment

Why not just ask BR?

Tell him to look at the various threads and ask him what sort of departments he has working and what setup he thinks would be best.

Comment

We are having too interesting discussion in Religion thread to be combined. Besides, I like power. Power, Power, Power!
              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Terrain came up in the units thread.. does this deserve it's own topic?

We've not even discussed the merits of a Civ terrain style (squares), or a SMAC style (altitude/raininess/rockiness)

Comment

I think I'll start numbering my threads according to the seconds elapsed since midnight. That way it's almost guaranteed to be a unique number.

More seriously, I think the 'benevolent dictator' system has been shown to work quite well with this sort of project.

But to help the democracy thing, it says threads can be closed by 'moderator or admin only'.

Would it help if the admin=yang, moderator=threadhead? If mark is kosher with that, of course.

As far as summaries go: I think that the summaries are sort of thread dependant- I don't expect to need to make a list of items- units, techs, whatever- any time soon on the AI list.

Comment

Sorry gentlemen but I must also bow out of this,whatever it's becoming.I just wanted to help Civ 3,not respond to endless emails about 'whose in charge'or 'too much power in one persons hands'.It all seems a bit much.Please stop the endless stream of emails,thank you.
                    Mine was the border thread.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yin, can you please delete double posts?
                      The best ideas are those that can be improved.
                      Ecce Homo

Comment

Working...
                      X