Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the Best Government for Modern Warfare ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the Best Government for Modern Warfare ?

Ignoring for the moment that the game badly needs more government variety, which goverment do you all play in the long modern wars of late game and why ?

Absolutly democracy. The number of cities before corrupcion colapses the system in communism is absurd, and with a decent number of lux resourses, with the use of marketplaces, you can afford a war for 15 or 20 turns before war weariness affects your empire
    "7. Sobre todo tipo de cosas que no entendemos, mejor es callarse" Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Phylosophycus
    "Mas vale un pajaro en la mano....que papa a los quince"
    "No se que armas se usaran en la tercera guerra mundial, pero si se que la cuarta sera con piedras y palos"
    "Recuerde, un pais que tiene principios, tiene fin"

Comment

Generally, whether I'm at war or not is irrelevant to what government I'm using. Yes, war unhappiness is a bit of a problem with Republic or Democracy, but almost always you can offset that with the Luxury slider and still have more income than from Communism or Monarchy.

If I'm playing a Religious civ, I'll switch to Democracy when it becomes available. Otherwise I stick with Republic, since 4-6 turns of zero production and research just isn't worth the minor improvements of Democracy.

The only time I switch governments in a war is if it's been going on so long that I have to pump the Luxury slider to the point that I am losing money even at 10% Science. At that point, I'll switch.

The main benefit of Communism is the ability to pop-rush. There used to be quite a few threads here about how late game Communism was quite powerful if you were just pumping out military units, converting useless population in distance highly corrupt cities into shields.

However, pop-rushing isn't anywhere near as lucrative as it used to be, and you can't pop-rush foreign population anymore, so Communism is pretty much useless these days.

- Gus

Comment

Democracy can handle a medium-long war provided that you have the Universal Suffrage wonder. With that plus Police Stations, you end up having about as much War Weariness as a Republic would have without either. If I can grab that wonder, then I tend to stick with Democracy throughout the Industrial and Modern ages.
        Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Anarchy = more money?

Originally posted by SorvinoBackhand
          Ignoring for the moment that the game badly needs more government variety, which goverment do you all play in the long modern wars of late game and why ?

I'm not sure which is best, but I read elsewhere when in need of quick cash some players deliberately go into ANARCHY as it supplies more money than Democracy (or Communism?). I assume this would be especially useful during wars.

What do people think of that as a strategy?

Comment

Democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by GusSmed
              The main benefit of Communism is the ability to pop-rush. There used to be quite a few threads here about how late game Communism was quite powerful if you were just pumping out military units, converting useless population in distance highly corrupt cities into shields.

However, pop-rushing isn't anywhere near as lucrative as it used to be, and you can't pop-rush foreign population anymore, so Communism is pretty much useless these days.

- Gus
              What changed? What do you mean you can't poprush foreign poulation?
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Re: Anarchy = more money?

Originally posted by Coracle
                I'm not sure which is best, but I read elsewhere when in need of quick cash some players deliberately go into ANARCHY as it supplies more money than Democracy (or Communism?). I assume this would be especially useful during wars.

What do people think of that as a strategy?
                The only cash flow during Anarchy is what you have in trade agreements with other civs. For example, if you were paying for luxuries, your cash flow would be negative unless you were being paid more for other agreements.

If your treasury is low when you have negative cash flow, the results can be UGLY. I learned my lesson so well the first time, I don't remember whether you lose units, improvements or default on your payments when you run out of funds.

Comment

So monarchy is the key, unless you're into a tech run
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Anarchy would be good if you were supporting 1000+ units. But micromanaging that many units is insane.

I once did a modern age OCC conquest in anarchy after the nukes started falling.

Comment

While you'll make money in Anarchy as long as you aren't paying other civs more then you're getting. I think the majority of players are getting much more $$ from the AIs than they are paying out.

The downside, no new units. If you don't have the numbers to take out the AI you're fighting, then you'll start losing substantially when you can't replace those troops in the field.
                      badams

Comment

Democracy is genneraly the best.

But if the war drags on too long, a switch will need to be made to Communism. (And past 50% unhappiness due to Peace Protests, your Democracy/Repubilc may collapse on it's own.)
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I have had 25+turn wars in Democracy. Only the last 5 turns did I see thos two turn MA become 3 and 4 turn MA. It could have lasted 30-40 turns before WW became a major hinderance.

Mss
                          Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

I'm thinking that the number of combats involved is a factor in addition to the number of turns.

In the same game, I had a 40 turn do-nothing war with no protests breaking out as all.
                            (One of those AI lands on your property, declares war when you ask them to leave, you kill them there the same turn as there's no follow up by either side, except the AI isn't willing to settle for peace for 40 turns.)

But just as I was nearing completing reserach of the last part, I had a second war, except I followed thru with a modern era counter invasion and had protests break out in 3 turns, got to 50% peace protests in 10 turns, and barely accomplished all military objetives and declared peace in time to keep my Democacy from collapsing.

Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
                            I have had 25+turn wars in Democracy. Only the last 5 turns did I see thos two turn MA become 3 and 4 turn MA. It could have lasted 30-40 turns before WW became a major hinderance.

Mss
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

You also get income from Taxmen and Scientists when in Anarchy, in addition to any gpt deals you have with other civs. Furthermore, it is possible to complete improvements and units via Forest-chopping.

Dominae
                              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Working...
                              X