The importance of the Medievil Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominae
    The retreat ability allows your units to live longer. This means, in the long run, you don't have to produce as many to achieve the same goals. This opens other avenues of production for your cities (such as, gasp!, cultural improvements).
    Dominae
    That you don't have to build as many troops is obvious. What isn't as obvious is how much the retreat ability is worth compared to the non retreat stats. What I question isn't that it is worth more than the basic unit, it is if it is worth the full 7/4'th of the price.

Ideally you want to produce as many Horsemen as possible, and upgrade from there. Yes, there is plenty of time to build a Knight force from scratch, but that whole time you're doing so it won't be in the field causing havoc.
    Dominae
    To be honest, I am not certain that is ideal after PTW. Before PTW, it was a no-brainer. Now though, you can choose between the knight rush and the much earlier, maybe 7-12 turns. This may not seem like much, but it may very well decide if you are facing spearmen or pikemen. Given the choice to meet an opposing army with knights facing pikemen, or having a combination of horsemen and infantry, facing mostly spearmen, I know which will probably be the easiest prey of those two. I know that it messes up the cavalry line a bit, but it might be possible that the wins are greater than the worse cavalry phase. I am not certain though, and need to test more.

Perhaps paradoxically, I use a smallish military but always try to be involved in some war or another. This reflects my current attempts to make most of Monarchy, since I found myself going to Republic too often before.
    Dominae
    Heh. I have somewhat of an opposite problem, playing at emperor. I don't go for republic often enough... just warmongering myself to a dominant position ASAP and then possibly stagnate. Lately though, I've had some kind of breakthrough and been able to totalyl dominate my games, in both warfare, culture and infrastructure at the same time, so I am thinking of ascending to deity. As it is now emp just doesn't pose enough of a challenge, the same build random assortment of attacking troops, do oscillating war while upgrading (the most common is mass warriors, get a lot of swordsmen, build some horsemen, and then upgrade both ASAP) troops until you are the sole controller of the continent.

Comment

Working...
    X