Nuclear war tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear war tips?

It looks like I'm heading into my first nuclear war, so some hints, please?

I'm in an emperor game with 4 civs, a large map, and modded less corruption so that we don't all hit the max# of cities. Its all the european civs. I'm England. Me, Germany, and Russia are much more powerful than France. Its a strangely historical game in that Germany went beserk, declaring war on all three of us, nailing France, and turning its army around to attack Russia. I saved France when they only had two cities left, and then Russia and I ate Germany. I gave France much of their land back.

After the war, the Manhatten Project was built by them. Now we've started an arms buildup. I have 3 ICBMs, and 5 Sub-Based Tac Nukes so far. They have the same (I've been copying them arms-wise.) Anyway, I think it would be cool to try a nuclear war, since I've never done one. Tech rate is slowing a lot, so I don't expect to see the SDI soon, but it is a possibility.

So anyway, I have some questions.

Are nukes capturable?
    Do the AIs declare war on you when you nuke someone? (I heard this somewhere)
    If I do a first-strike and hit all their cities with nukes, will that eliminate their ability to nuke me?
    Is the AI competent with nukes?
    How often will the AI do a first strike?

And anything else, too. Just ramble, please.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Pick your target, point, and click. Not that many tactics related with nuclear war. i would have to say go to nuke their port cities in which they can build subs for tac nukes. they dont have the subs, they dont have that many nukes. if you're lucky they won't go for your capital or port cities either. have fun
    KISS MY

Comment

So you would prefer attacking to hinder them, and then outproducing, as opposed to building up for a giant strike that wipes them out in a turn?
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Re: Nuclear war tips?

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
        So anyway, I have some questions.

Are nukes capturable?
        Do the AIs declare war on you when you nuke someone? (I heard this somewhere)
        If I do a first-strike and hit all their cities with nukes, will that eliminate their ability to nuke me?
        Is the AI competent with nukes?
        How often will the AI do a first strike?

And anything else, too. Just ramble, please.
        nukes are destroyed like bombers (IIRC)

the AI will declare war on you if you nuke someone they're at oeace with. it seems that the first nuke takes a bigger reputation hit.

no. if you nuke them they can still nuke back.

the AI uses ICBMs well, tac nukes not so well.

i've seen germany do a first strike several times.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I would rather carry out a ROP rape than to break out the nukes.

Comment

ROP? With them? Hahaha that's a good one. They won't even exchange territory maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
              ROP? With them? Hahaha that's a good one. They won't even exchange territory maps.
              Give some gifts to the Frenchies and try to get their attitudes improved. Since ROP rape is brutally effective, you should actually spend something to get it.

Comment

It is sometimes worth stealing a troop locations map and nuking a huge stack of units - which they probably have if this is a land war.

Comment

I have not used nukes since Red Alert (not RA2).

Comment

In my experience the AI is moronic with nukes.

Also, yes even Ghandi will declare on you.

I loved my first nuke war, I threw 3 nukes and the threw 2 at me; both nukes aimed at piss-ant cities that werent producing everything. My second was even better, I had my invasion force keyed up on boats just off the Zulu continent, I nuked as I conquered. It was beautiful, every turn I would raze every city I could reach with my MA.

Dont go for the one huge strike idea, use the nukes right before you attack, they dont do enough damage to keap a city overly vulnerable for multiple turns.

Lastly, put serious thought into nuking resources, knock out their supply of oil, Aluminum or Uranium and youve got him pinned down for a while. Granted it can be a huge waste of a nuke but if hes only got one Uranium resource you can stop him from making any more Nukes for a while.
                    TWO FISTED MONKEY STYLE ATTACK!

Comment

I was actually competently nuked once! The AI busted out an ICBM on my capital and IW city.

The retaliation was immense though (something like a dozen ICBMs), and two was apparently all the nukes they had. I then idled production to make enough ICBMs to blanket their entire continent with pollution.

Comment

Build the SDI for the safety of your on people, MAN!
                        "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
                        I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
                        --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Nuke their capital once you have SDI. All their trade deals will lapse and with luck a lot of their empire will fall into disorder. If they nuke your capital set all your governors to manage mood and get a road back into the capital ASAP.

Comment

JW,
                            See the thread
                            Civ3-General > Government Overthrown
                            for some nuc war consequences. Quite graphic, if I may say so myself.

Your results may vary of course, depending on the extent of your exchange.

Comment

Tip: Make sure to have an airport (and a harbor if available) in your capital before getting into a nuclear war. That gives you at least a chance of not having your trade network disrupted by a capital nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X