No announcement yet.

The Virtues of being Industrious....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the Japanese more than the Eygptians. The early golden age really hurts Eygpt. I can be in republic before I send off the immortals because they are useful for a longer period of time. But I find the Japanese to be the best because their revolution is only 1 turn, their golden age is perfectly timed, and their UU is awesome. China has a good one too, but I don't like them because they aren't religious.
    Wrestling is real!

Comment

• I play as Egypt, but I don't use their UU at all. I get my golden age going in peacetime, as a republic/democracy with wonders. That way, I can get ahead in wealth and tech (since before this point, most of my technology is bought/extorted from other civs, and my large military really empties my coffers).
      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I understand the principle of why any civ would be better off with a later GA, but I happily plunge into mine as Egypt, the better to build those WCs that make later eras an afterthought in most cases.

Comment

• I just looked at Arrian's Japanese game, with awe. Now I gotta be blown away again? Jeez.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Where can I get it from?

Comment

• Theseus,

Hey man, you play Emperor, and I play Monarch, and I think there's a big difference there. Keep that in mind.

I play Monarch still because I am into totally wrecking the AI like I've managed to in those two games.

-Arrian

p.s. check your PM's
              Last edited by Arrian; June 4, 2002, 09:38.
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Arrian, my Mac doesn't open your games. That UU upgrade bug I have was fixed on the 1.21 patch, but the Mac patch isn't ready yet. And MacSoft has yet to cut a deal with Infogrames re: PTW. Detect a pattern?

So what did you do in those games to leave Theseus in shock?

Comment

• Txurce,

Doh! I forgot you have a Mac.

What did I do? Let's see... the Japanese game:

Started on 5 civ continent. Destroyed France, England, India and China, got 4 GLs or so. Built up, gained a good tech lead (though not great, b/c one of the overseas AI's built the Colossus and Great Library... or at least that's what I think did it), gained a massive power lead (score more than 3x nearest AI, IIRC). Built a bunch of Cavalry, backed by muskets and cannon, and anhiliated Rome (they had two luxuries, so they died). I believe the save is from 1510AD. My armies of Cavalry and Infantry are slowly munching on Germany. Russia is not a concern, as Bismarck man beat up on them earlier.

I have every medieval and industrial wonder, with the exception of Shakespeares. I have a massive economy, 7 luxuries, and my empire is close to a domination victory. I launch a galleon or two full of infantry every turn, and am working on learning how to build tanks.

The Chinese game:

Started on a five civ continent. Destroyed Babylon, Persia, India, and Japan. Got about five leaders. Lost the Pyramids to an overseas civ (I hate that). Spent what felt like forever as a despot, cleaning up the continent. Golden age as despot (ACK!). Built up, gained a large tech/power lead despite my long stay in despotism, nailed all desired wonders (except the aforementioned pyramids), built some Cavalry and Infantry, sailed over and started munching on America. I had destroyed their core cities when I won via domination... I don't remember how close the save is to that. Final score 5700ish.

These are, clearly, examples of games that went well. They illustrate the potential of my strategy, which is why I posted them. It doesn't always work out, though. So goes my continuing search for the Game of Ultimate Power (tm).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Arrian, I am beginning to see what TOTAL domination means. My three domination wins have all been on five-civ continents - it's a great enticement to go for it. The Pyramids are tough because they're the #1 ancient-era wonder, so the odds are good that a decent overseas civ will nab it ahead of the human focused on warmongering. When seizing control of the game and taking over the tech lead, do you beeline for navigation or magnetism, the faster to invade those other guys?

Comment

• My tech sequence is all about making sure I get the wonders I want.

I enter the middle ages by getting tech from either the beaten AI or the Great Library. This usually gets me to feudalism, sometimes all the way to Theology. Ok, that's the tech for Sun Tzu and the Sistine. Next up is Leo's: beeline for Invention. Next, Copernicus: beeline for Astronomy. Next, Economics for Adam Smith. Then, a slight detour for Music Theory so I can build Bach's. Next, on to Theory of Gravity for Newton's. By this point, contact has usually been made. If I'm waaaaaaay ahead, I will go get Democracy. If I'm just plain 'ole ahead, I will get Mil. Tradition and Magnetism, so I can get on with the Industrial Era (and be able to kick butt with Cavalry).

Depending on how the ancient wars went, I may or may not have to grab chivalry to finish things off. Otherwise, I ignore it. My GA will be triggered by the wonders anyway, so unless there is a compelling military reason for Samurai, why waste four turns?

Final domination usually occurs in the mid-industrial period. Early Industrial is all about building factories, hospitals, police stations, Univ. Suffrage, ToE, and Hoover. I don't actually NEED these things. I want them. Building them no doubt delays final victory. Once all that stuff is build, I make up for lost time and punch out a strong Cavalry/Infantry/Artillery force and go to work. Occasionally, I will even hang around for Tanks, but I've been less and less likely to wait that long.

-Arrian

Comment

• What level are these games?!
                        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• Arrian's are on Monarch ... impressive. or at least they are to a Civ3 lamer like me anyway.

I struggle to win on Warlord ... I'll try a game on Monarch some time soon and see how quickly the AI hands me my ass.

This is a great thread, I'll try and be an industrious civ, prolly Egypt, and use some of these tactics. It should improve my game ... but it couldn't make me a lot worse.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• Oh, Monarch? Phew! I was thinking this was Deity!
                            That actually sounds possible on Monarch.
                            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• Yeah, not much chance of pulling that off on diety. Maybe on Emperor... I will try it at some point. But for now I'm enjoying Monarch.

-Arrian

Comment

• I begun somehow to dislike the Sistine. Since I build my cities dense now and put a big emphasize on mining instead of irrigating, my cities won't grow very much and happiness is less of an issue. Having many cities sometimes makes culture a problem. Having 1000+ year old cathedrals in 50 cities is... ouch! ... 300 culture per turn. And if I start to sell those cathedrals, I lose 6 content faces at once, which usually hurts. I rather run for Bachs now, which does not depend on improvements. That's a plus, as the AI doesn't put a high priority to a dead end tech like Music Theory.

Comment

Working...
                                X