The Virtues of being Industrious....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• punkbass2000

Yes, fifty times twenty is one thousand, but I was adding in the additional five hundred shields (50X10) that would have been spend on building the 50 extra Workers as well. This means that there would be a TOTAL savings of 1500 shields.
    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

• oic. Sorry
      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• Good point, Ijuin, but not exactly precise. Border cities have great growth but poor production. Workers are cheap. See what I mean? You just have your far away cities make workers. You really aren't wasting pop points or shields unless it is early in the game and you haven't established the border cities yet. That is a short period of time. Trust me, cheap temples will save you a lot more shields than super workers will.

As for unit costs, that is actually the best benefit of industrious. 20 workers over 100 turns is 2000 gold saved, but...

Try choosing scientific instead. The minute you enter a new age, sell off the new tech to all of the AIs. I bet you will easily get 500 gold at the start of the middle ages, 3000 at the start of the industrial era, and 6000 at the start of the modern age. And if you don't sell the free scientific tech, you get a tech tree lead. That is possibly a lead on a great wonder like Hoover Dam or the Sistene Chapel.

More workers is not as expensive as some people think, but I can see where it would be useful, like on huge pangaea maps. But I don't play a map that would take weeks to finish.
        Wrestling is real!

Comment

• tag

Comment

• That is a good point. my dad says i'm a good player , And i never won untill i started playing as the french. Even though there are other indutrous civs Somone please explain that

Comment

• So you play culturally linked? You then avoid any early UUs as France.

Also, Com / Ind is for some reason a verrry strong combo... I haven't quite figured out why yet.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Also, Com / Ind is for some reason a verrry strong combo... I haven't quite figured out why yet.
                Actually it isn't even though I like playing as France myself. The big advantage for France is that the UU, which otherwise is crap, comes at the ideal time for a Golden Age. Comercial is improved with the 1.129f patch but it still doesn't help much. A little extra money in the larger cities and a little less corruption from the number of cities. It used to one more good city for a standard map now its closer to three. Not quite three and it depends on the dificulty level since greater difficulty decreases the number of cities that are usefull.

Comercial-Religious is a better combo but Egypts UU isn't much better than the Musketeer and it comes very early making it hard to get a well timed Golden Age. Persia is nearly as good and has a much better UU but the ability of a Religious civ to change goverments quickly more than makes up for the greater number of cheap improvements that Science gets.

I just don't like playing Religious civs but it sure does help on Emperor.

I really miss industrious workers when I don't have them. I am playing as Rome now and I have a lot jungle to deal with. I sure do miss the fast workers.

I tried Babylon once on Emperor. I didn't like the loss of industrious. Egypt is better for a builder at that level. Warmongers can just use a lot of slave labor instead.

If you play France turn off cultural linkage. Getting stuck between the two wicked witches gets old fast. I hate Liz and Cathy these days from playing so many games as France. Vile pernicious devious covetous leaches. I am so glad I got to hamstring Liz in my present game.

Comment

• Egypt is great for warmongers too. That's the virtue...

I dunno, there's something about France, and I suspect it's more than a well-timed UU.

And you didn;t mention Bizzy-markcy, the most evil b-stard in the game!!
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theseus

And you didn;t mention Bizzy-markcy, the most evil b-stard in the game!!
                    Bismark slits his own throat so often he isn't as annoying as he could be. Untill panzers show up he is all noise and little oopm. Gets in fights with the other civs and wrecks his development. Worse than Liz that way.

He is a pain if he survives till the industrial age though.

The idiot tried extorting me for economics in my present game as Rome. I said buzz off because he was pretty far from me. I thought it was a bluff. His troops finally showed up about 15 turns later just a few warriors and bowmen against my legions. I destroyed a city of his with a warrior that had been out exploring in the area when Bismark declared war. Took a city for the peace treaty when I had a stack of six legions a few turns from one of his cities.

Unfortunatly I had a hard time getting the stack back home and I had no interest in Bismarks much too distant land. I had to cross Liz's land which had expanded just as the war ended and instead of letting me through my troops kept getting sent to neutral tiles on the wrong side of Liz.

So Liz is now down to two little cities. What else was I going to do with my stack if she insisted on making them fight to get home. Legions are hard on warriors and bowmen and she didn't have any horsies. I took eight cities and NOT ONE STINKING GL. Legions just aren't as good for that as horsies are.

Comment

• I am just wondering... what is an ideal combo? Industrious/Religious, Sciencetific/Commercial, Expansionist/Militiristic, etc?

just wondering what people think.... i haven't read the entire thread yet... but just wondering, as the beginning only deals with a single thing... and just makes me wonder what two civ traits works well together?

me, so far... i say Industrious/Religious... but i haven't playedf civ3 since january and haven't really played enough games....or even pass the medieval age. :/

-Mellian

Comment

• I think that religious-industrious is extremely good for a builder. That allows you to go the monarchy route instead of going straight for the Republic. If your not religious a single change of government in the game, to the Republic, saves a lot of turns of Anarchy. If your religious though you can make use of Monarchy earlier and when needed for longer wars then use the faster workers of Democracy. If you aren't religious sticking with the Republic for the rest of the game is a good way to go. Just three or four turns of Anarchy and greater resistance to war weariness.

For war mongering religious-militaristic is going to help a lot especially on the larger maps where militaristic will help generate a lot of GLs. Religious-industrious isn't bad either as early on you won't have a lot of slave workers and can use the rapid road building of your industrious to launch early strikes in the Ancient Era via the road network.

Aeson was playing the Iroquois when he got his 60,000 plus high score on Deity. Relgious-expansionist. I am pretty sure he chose them for the UU as much as the attributes.

Comment

• Don't count out Chinese:
                          - militaristic and industrious, 2 deadly war-mongering combos.
                          - well timed UU with the Rider.

As for Bismarck, he got way too often in uncessary fights. In my current game, the Germans were leading in cultures and second overall in power chart. But Bismarck pissed off too many of his neighbors so they joined to beat the crap out of him. It was amazing to see how the other AI civs reduced Germany to ashes in just 20-30 turns.

Also the Persians should not be underestimated. They are industrious, and they have the Immortals. It's pretty easy for them to conquer a large continent before any other civs start fielding the Musketman.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
                            Bismark slits his own throat so often he isn't as annoying as he could be. ...
                            Gets in fights with the other civs and wrecks his development.
                            If he has lots of neighbours, Bismark's not a problem. If you are his only neighbour, he's a real pain. You can't do anything till he's slapped down, but if you're short on culture his cheap libraries can make holding his cities tricky (cue Coracle ).

You're right though about France's revolting neighbours on culturally linked games. Get stuck btw Catherine the Snake & Bismark the Bellicose and you get a real feel for being Polish!

Comment

• Read this thread for the first time - all the way through - today, so I am going back to the original post by Vel (whose absence is one of the reasons I've spent so little time here and so much time on the other site). I agree that industrious is a really great trait; to the point that I traded commercial (which is clearly the weakest trait) for industrious with the English. Now before every complains, I gave every other civ an additional trait - so they have three and I have two. I can actually only remeber two of the adds - expansionist for the Romans (duh) and industrious for the Germans (unless they already had that, in which case it was either militaristic or scientific - now there is a powerful triple combination).

Now where I differ from the majority view on the thread is that I use industrious to play a peaceful builder style on very large (240x226) maps. 10 civs, max land, continents and recently deity after Emperor got too easy. There is a long way between civs (min 40 tiles) so early conquest is really tough, especially on Deity with the unit and production bonuses that the AI gets. So I have to outexpand 'em and I couldn't do it without those industrious little workers.

The other big thing about really big maps is that neither strategic or luxury resources have a map size multiplier so they get pretty scarce on a big map (240x226 has more than 5 times as many tiles as a standatd map, 14 times as many as a tiny map, and no more resources). All the expansion strategies laid out in Vel's and others' threads are required, you just have to keep doing them well into the ADs. And you can't do them nearly as effectively without industrious workers. The scouts find the resources and the workers build the roads to get the settlers there in a reasonable time; and while I don't use roads to move my conquering armies, they are critical for troop movements to defend what is generally a large, low density empire for a very long time from barbarians and jealous rival civs .

So for a number of reasons and a number of playing strategies, industrious rules (and commercial sucks for, well it just sucks).
                              wbe

Comment

• Anglophile,

Vel was gone for a while, but he's ba-ack!!

Question: I would predict that given your settings, you see some awesomely dangerous killer AI civs... true?? Any chance you play at 3B years?

Also, commercial may be a lot better post-1.29f... jury's still out.

Comment

Working...
                                X