Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get ahead in tech on regent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get ahead in tech on regent???

How do you get ahead in tech on regent??? Its seems so hard. The a.i. is about 10 techs ahead of me...

ouch...how many times have you played on regent and what is your strategy?

Comment

trade

I hardly ever research anything. I usually keep my tech on 10%, so I at least research some techs from time to time, and the rest of the money I use to buy techs from the AI.
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Trading techs. Here is the key concept for me. With such a principe you can :
        • get techs you do not have without losing time to research them,
        • get a lot of money to support your own research.

For example I'm currently playing on a huge map with 16 civs. I'm clearly the tech leader. I'm spending 100% of my commerce incomes to research (and can so discover a new tech every 5-6 turns) and still earn about 250 to 500 gold each turn . And I'm about to complete the Theory of Evolution.
        Nym
        "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

Trading is the way to go until maybe around the end of the middle ages. Eventually you should have all the libraries and universities in place to discover techs yourself every 8-12 turns. Whatever you do don't stop trading for techs whenever you get a chance.
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

And if you get a research that the AIs don't have yet, don't be shy to trade it immediately. Odds are another AI will get it a few turns later and sell it to everyone. He'll earn the cash (and goodies) that you could have earnt!
            "One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour."
            - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Comment

Regent tech lead

Fire up standard continents, 5 billion normal climate, roaming barbs. Cntl-Shift-Q until you start on a river with grasslands-plains. Any civ will do but the Greeks and English, industrious and religious Egyptians are a gimme. Leave the tax slider alone and start researching The Wheel, before bee-lining for Literature and the GL.
              Avoid the temptation of the early ''Don't restart eliminated players'' rush - it works like a charm on Regent, rewarding you with a conquered totally corrupted enemy capital and a pair of slaves in exchange of a trading partner, two core cities and 30 turns worth of exploring. Warrior x 3 - settler, warrior x 2, settler. At this point you should have about 4 to 5 cities closely built around your capital and a fairly good idea about your whereabouts and neighboors. Switch to a Temple - provided you have popped/traded for CB - and then begin pre-building the GL via the Pyramids. Assuming 1 luxury and a full garrison, a 12 shield 6-size city is a lock if you start around 1800-1700 BC. At roughly the same time or a bit later, start building the Collossus on a coastal town closest to your capital. At 8 shields a turn at size 6 you'll snag it unless a commercial civ has a capital by the sea and misses on the Pyramids - the AI guns for the GA triggering wonder. Continue expanding aggressively towards chokepoints, resources and other civs, in that order. In 1.21F the AI has been vastly improved in optimizing its core cities spacewise, so on Regent you'll easily outexpand it. Max out at 10-14 cities. Don't be afraid of overlapping, especially when hemming in a rival. Three settlers worth 90 shields close out a gap much faster and cheaper than two settlers and two temples worth 180. Build chariots over spearmen whenever practicable and train them on barbs. You'll get a vet equastrian army upgradable all the way to cavalry on the cheap while mapping out your continent first.
              While the wonders are build, ponder geography; unless you've really lucked out on your capital, start building the FP on the most centrally located core city available, always taking in mind the direction of your future expansion. At less than the shields' cost of a Barracks-Library-Marketplace combo worth +3 gold for a single town, you'll gain +15% - 20% on empire production by the beginning of the Middle Ages, absolutely vital when you switch to Republic. Once you have discovered Literature, switch production in your capital and reserach MapMaking, Maths, Curency and Construction. Don't accept techs when trading unless the AI has one in your bee-line; gold only, even for a token price - you're not after money, just techs you'll get on the cheap and you want your rivals on max science. Roughly 6-8 turns before both your wonders are complete, normally around 500-300 BC, switch all available costal town to producing galleys. You'll need six of them to be on the safe on a standard map, ready to boldly cross the ocean to make contact with the other civs the turn the GL is complete - i'd poprush those galleys over anything else on regent, they are that important. Have them ready at the the tip of your continent likeliest to be closest to the other civs homeland according to the minimap on the turn the GL is complete. Do NOT lower your science rate - you're after a tech lead, right? Push ahead with all your fleet. On standard 70% land it's 3 turns on ocean-sea max before you hit land, so'll you make it easily. Sell the new found civs techs and maps for money, do NOT trade communications - or even maps, if there are less than 3 sea tiles separating the landmasses. All Ancient techs you've skipped are filled, research the Republic, stage a revolution, welcome to a budget deficit and the Middle Ages - you gain Polytheism about the same time you lose your whip.
              Engineering - Invention (you'll gain Feudalism) - Printing Press (if you have gained Theology, if not leave it for after) - Chemistry. Build Marketplaces - Cathedrals in your core cities, Libraries - Barracks around the second tier, skip colloseums all together if you can gain/trade for a second luxury, rush buy granaries for your core and the occasional courthouse if you can afford it and aggresively pre-build fot the Holly Trinity of MA Wonders - Sistine, Leo, Smith's. You'll need a 15 turns jumpstart for the chappel - so start on that Palace while still in the Ancient era - 25 for the Workshop and Smith's had better be pre-build or you risk a Bach's rollover - it's doable, even if you have to build up a city pop with a work or two. Broker tech around freeely. Locate and milk the Player civ without mercy - you can't miss him, it's the guy with the non-overlapping 14 city monster core who can afford 47 g.p.t. for Chemistry Watch out for that bad boy and don't let him expand once the Industrial Era kicks in even at the risk of war, else he's in for the long run. The choises are yours for the taking. Build up and upgrade your military appropriately and make a kill - or two - in your continent, prefferably upgrading to knights after Leo for ''only'' 50 g. a chariot. You should target 20-25 cities, a good 2/3 of them 75% or more productive, easily achievable with a leader rushed Palace, and a minimum of 4 luxuries for the end of Middle Ages. Time your GA for the end of the era if possible - 4 turn techs on 30% research can net you an effortless 400 g.p.t surpluss, something you'd dearly miss if you were to build the Collossus as a Greek or Englishman Switch to demo preferably before your second conquest; 10+ city gains between governments prolongue anarchy to nearly unacceptable levels. Save Mettalurgy for last and build dirt cheap catapults by the dozens in preparation for your industrial wars. Prebuild factories with colloseums. Trade for that 5th luxury at whatever extortionist price and enjoy WLT_D and -10% corruption for the pre-hospital era. Hit the border 4 size, 6-silk jungle town while the AI is in anarchy for the moderate safety-first price of 2.768 gold. Conquer, rule, exploit, outlearn. Have fun; try Cleo and a HooverDam GA - if the rest of the industrial era tech tree plus 14000 gold in 20 turns won't snag you a tech lead, nothing will!

Cheers,
              George

Comment

Or you could just play an expansionist civ. By the end of the first era, you'll be far ahead in tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Allemand
                  Or you could just play an expansionist civ. By the end of the first era, you'll be far ahead in tech.
                  If you are lucky enough not to start on an island or tiny continent
                  Nym
                  "Der Krieg ist die bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." (Carl von Clausewitz, Vom Kriege)

Comment

If you're playing on 1.21f, turn down the AI tech trading values.

If you're playing on 1.17f, well, forget it. I've heard it's bad to the point of unplayability.

You're probably not playing on 1.16f. I still am however, and on regent I have just lately been able to command a tech lead. Whatever levels the trading is at now are good, and when I step up to 1.21 I want to set them the same.

I refuse to set either tax or science to 100% - a game that needs this is broken in my mind. I liked how in SMAC each shift away from 50% caused some inefficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by MiloMilo
                      I refuse to set either tax or science to 100% - a game that needs this is broken in my mind. I liked how in SMAC each shift away from 50% caused some inefficiency.
                      Good observation!

SMAC was and still is an awesome game, Firaxis at it's finest. Civ3 OTOH is something else. I've been preaching for a long time about having to set science to 100% = game is broken. Some people don't understand this. I've learned to just go with the flow but continue my silent protest at some of Civ3's disappointments.

Comment

Science at 100%? Really? I typically set it to 0 or 10%.
                        "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                        -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

But the graphics in SMAC were ugly as hell. And the units looked retarded... not that I'm a graphics enthusiast, but the smooth looks of Civ3 make up for a few of its other shortcomings.
                          If only there was a way to breed Civ3 and SMAC... what a game that would become!
                          "One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour."
                          - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Comment

Originally posted by Herr David
                            If only there was a way to breed Civ3 and SMAC... what a game that would become!
                            Now that would be awesome!

Comment

Hey is there any way you can get 2 seperate powers to stop fighting each other??? It's really hurting my tech accumaltion...

Comment

Working...
                              X