The A.I.'s Achilles Heel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The A.I.'s Achilles Heel

ok well i think i just stumbled across a big weakness in the A.I. today... play a map with just tiny islands.... i played a warm wet archipellago... my opponents are way behind me in expansion, their logic seems to have been designed for a land-based scenario....

with these tiny little islands the computers are wasting enormous amounts of time on everything but getting off the rocks their stuck on. building impi to prance around mightily as my boats rush settlers hither and fro. i'm colonizing chains of islands while they're focused on building wonders. at the moment zulu has 2 cities whereas i have 13 on seven different island masses.

none of my enemies even have alphabet yet so they better get onto their game quick. i'm playing emperor level

This was also a problem in CivII. If an AI civ started on a small island, it never left.
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Island maps own

I like Island maps with some corruption reduction going on. Otherwise they are kinda lame.

But when you can spread across the world without corruption ruining you it's fun to get at that little insignificant island that for some reason has the only aluminum in the world

If only the computer was smarter...
      Wrestling is real!

Comment

In one game I was playing, I had expanded through most of the map after taking over my own island ( Aztec JWs ). Then came the point when I was actually losing money by building more cities. I had to put my science down, eventually to 0 as all the new cities not on my main island were only producing 1 gold and 1 shield.

So even though I expanded faster than the AI, it ended up giving them the advantage.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
          In one game I was playing, I had expanded through most of the map after taking over my own island ( Aztec JWs ). Then came the point when I was actually losing money by building more cities. I had to put my science down, eventually to 0 as all the new cities not on my main island were only producing 1 gold and 1 shield.

So even though I expanded faster than the AI, it ended up giving them the advantage.
          That's strange, since a six 6 city with total corruption can contribute 3 or 4 gold per turn to you treasury.

Salve
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
            This was also a problem in CivII. If an AI civ started on a small island, it never left.
            Hehe, it was always fun to see a civ's extremely outdated units patrolling the coastlines. The problem was even worse in civ1 though, play on a world map and see how many cities the Romans, English, Chinese, Egyptians and Americans (sometimes) build. They often got stuck with one city all game.

notyou: Yeah, taxmen/scientists are great ways of squeezing a little extra production out of those super corrupt cities. A good strat is probably to build loads pretty close together with only temples in them. Shame the taxmen aren't as good as they were in civ2 (not that you ever needed to use them).

Comment

Re: Island maps own

Originally posted by King of Rasslin
              If only the computer was smarter...
              The computer is smarter. You should have said "If only the programmer was smarter..."
              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                They never fixed this? What sods!

Comment

That is why England and Japan are so handicapped on a real world map. I have to help them out all the time. And yet they never seem to appreciate it and always backstab me later. What loyalty...

They should go out and explore more. It's difficult to make England go to North America without a coastal connection and Japan often prefers to settle Siberia instead of Southeast Asia. Stupid.
                  "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

yes i am playing a scenario that is jiggered for less corruption..... that's definitely aided me in my rapid expansion across the map.

the start was so unfair.... my "contininent" was about 3 square total.... the japs started on a huge chuck at least 20x bigger than me, they had room for about 8 cities on their mainland.... so unfair. the zulu's started with about 2x the land i had...

currently they're getting trounced. japan decided to explore the world about 750bc.... they moved to a nice chunk that was right next to their huge mainland.... which was the final chunk i was about to settle.... so unfair the way this game was layed out. anyways, i blew away their two cities and colonized that last chunk. Currently mounting an assault for their mainland, while the zulu's have built 0 boats, 3 wonders.

back to the front...

Comment

Re: The A.I.'s Achilles Heel

The AI has SEVERAL Achilles Heels... if you read prior threads you will see how many. It is by no means the Achilles of AIs.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        That's strange, since a six 6 city with total corruption can contribute 3 or 4 gold per turn to you treasury.
                        You mean converting some pop into taxmen??
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hmmm, I love playing on island maps. I happen to be one of those peaceful fellows. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I usually never am able to pull off early conquest. As a result, I don't like dealing with opponents on my turf. For that reason, I like a nice ocean between me and my opponents, but I have to say, I have NOT seen the AI failing on the island maps. In fact, they seem to just send out hordes of Caravels packed with settlers. In the one game I was playing, every time I settled an island city, there would surely be another power there within the next few turns. It got really annoying after a while!
                          Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

I always liked that island maps allow some naval action. Pangaea allows no naval at all and continents allow large scale, huge invasions. But these invasion forces are just ships trying to protect land units, the real important guys.

But on island maps naval warfare is more balanced with land warfare. It's really cool when you have an aircraft carrier. Unless you destroy the carrier it's like a super-artillery, destroying plenty of improvements.

My fav map is the half continent/large island maps. They have plenty of land but they still focus on naval warfare. 2-4 cities per island sound good to me, with some corruption reduction.
                            Wrestling is real!

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

You mean converting some pop into taxmen??
                              Yes. Once you have rails and on grass or flood plains 2 or 3 tiles worked will feed the city (depending on bonus tiles).

City gets 1 gold if totally corrupt. Add 3 or 4 taxmen and you may get 4 or 5 gold per turn for that city. If you have enough luxeries you will not need a temple. If not, you may need a temple and maybe a marketplace. Then you get 2 to 4 gold per turn from the city.

I wouldn't see a point to building an aquaduct, would you?

Salve
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X