Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaceships in the 1800's ! How!?!

Hi again all-

From looking at some of the tournament results, it would appear some folks are able to get space victories as early as the mid to late 1800's.

I hope this doesn't come across too dumb...but how!?! I push research pretty hard, but never even get flight much before 1900. What am I missing here?

Regards,
    Ethan

Well, you should read all the strategy guides floating around in here.

Basically (regarding science and not how to build you empire) : Buy, sell, sell, buy, sell, buy and continue!

I generally do not invent anything until pretty late in the game. I up my economy max and start looking for the other civs. Just when you find a civ (prefferably more than two) , find out who's the "strong" one science-wise, buy from him and sell to the others. After doing this you will end up having all techs and a healthy income. Now is the time to do your own science. Cranck up max science and sell, sell, sell. If all your opponents are forced to buy from you 1) They won't attack you, 2) They can't afford their own research.

Also. When speaking to another civ and you ask for so and so much per turn you reach a limit. However, this limit is *only* for the current trade. If you max the limit, say bye, and trade again they have a new limit.

I think the AI balances how much goes to science and how much are profit. The AI's limit is obviously it's profit. When you say Bye, the AI will recalculate the balance, giving a new limit. In this way you can milk your opponent to bankrupcy(?) in a few turns, ensuring that you are the supreme tech-leader throughout the rest of the game.

/end babbling

Achnor
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not crying and screaming like the passengers in his car!

Comment

play harder

Try a harder difficulty setting. Believe it or not, technology advancement goes faster the harder the setting.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Tech Trading is the Key

The key to accelerating the scientific progress in the game is to actively trade/sell tech to everyone so that each AI is always researching a new undiscovered technology. The tech advancement of the entire game is thereby accelerated resulting in early AC launches. I have not tried to research every tech by myself to attempt an 1800s launch but I do not think it is likely unless you leverage the AIs research to augment your own.

Comment

Play on huge map, with 16 opponent and follow Achnor's advice.

First victory (Regent) : 1774, cultural => disable cultural victory: too easy.
          Second victory (Monarch): 1822, spaceship

Note: I started many more games, but I get bored before official victory.
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Disable Diplomatic victory too. Too easy to win if you've been peacefull for most of the game.
            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Another factor is the map size used in the game. The smaller the map, the lower the cost of research for all civs. The cost on a standard map is double that of a tiny one. The cost doubles again when using a huge map. Launches in the 1600's are common on tiny maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry
                First victory (Regent) : 1774, cultural => disable cultural victory: too easy.
                That was because you were on regent. Every kind of victory(except possibly diplomatic, which I like, having to jockey for the UN helps make the late game more interesting) is easier on lower difficulty levels, because you can get all those good culture wonders easily and early.

Comment

AIs get research bonuses on higher difficulty levels, so tech advances faster. By buying and selling you get the max tech advance possible.

Comment

First, play a small map with India, France, and Iroquois as your rivals. Now when you start (any civ will do), just pump out settlers untill you either can't build any more cities or you have about 15 - 20 cities. Now, invest about 60% into tech. Use your best judgment on what to do, but don't invest less then 30% in tech. Build you tech building like university and never turn down a wonder of any kind. Make sure you have the right resources, if not, trade. I can win the space race circa 1900. This system dosn't work well under monarch, those Iroquois are not always peaceful
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                    X