Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build city or a colony to secure overseas strategic resources? Which is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build city or a colony to secure overseas strategic resources? Which is best?

I am starting to wonder if expanding overseas is worth the trouble. Corruption seems to be pretty strong. The old way of expanding like crazy might not be advisable now. Makes me kinda squemish about even consediring much expansion let alone oversea expansion to new islands and continents. But Iron is on an islan I really need to build knights. So somehow I am going to have to secure it. I am just not sure if you need astronomy or if navigation is good enough to have the sea route working.

Whats best to build a colony or a city? How id the good transported back to your mainland? Do you need a city and a harbor or can you build a colony if it is ont he coast?
    Leonid

You will need a city with a harbor on the continent where the resource is, as well as a harbor in a city on your home continent. A colony alone will not be able to transport the resource back to your home colony. You also need a navigable sea route from the city back to a city on your home continent with a harbor. Navigable means you have to possess the technology for crossing that type of square (Map Making for Coast squares, Astronomy for sea squares, and Magnetism or Navigation for Ocean squares). Navigable also means it cannot pass through enemy waters or be blocked by enemy ships.

As for the corruption, the best solution would be to build your Forbidden Palace there. However it will be very difficult to build since the city will be very corrupt when your first start. So you will probably need to use a Great Leader to rush it.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned
      You will need a city with a harbor on the continent where the resource is, as well as a harbor in a city on your home continent. A colony alone will not be able to transport the resource back to your home colony. You also need a navigable sea route from the city back to a city on your home continent with a harbor. Navigable means you have to possess the technology for crossing that type of square (Map Making for Coast squares, Astronomy for sea squares, and Magnetism or Navigation for Ocean squares). Navigable also means it cannot pass through enemy waters or be blocked by enemy ships.

As for the corruption, the best solution would be to build your Forbidden Palace there. However it will be very difficult to build since the city will be very corrupt when your first start. So you will probably need to use a Great Leader to rush it.
      Only navigation lets you sail on ocean squares. All magnetism lets you do is build some very useful ships.
      Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel393

Only navigation lets you sail on ocean squares. All magnetism lets you do is build some very useful ships.
        I have to disagree - the Civilopedia says both advances let you sail ocean squares.
        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Working...
        X