food problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food problem

like a dummy, i built one of my cities without many food producing terrain spaces, and not on the water so no chance for a harbor.
    What other ways can I gather more food to help my population grow?
    Trade?
    HELP! I'm surrounded my mountains and sand!
    Can I dismantle or move this city?

You're in trouble. If you're surrounded my mountains and desert, there is very little you can do. Are there any rivers around - flood plains could save you (although your people could also catch disease). If there is any jungle you should clear it because it becomes grassland, but that takes a long time.

I don't know of any way to dismantle a city. In Civ2 you could always build a settler while the city size was 1 and then choose to abandon the city, but in Civ3 that doesn't work (it just makes you wait until the city grows). Does anyone know if it's possible to abandon a city?
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

well, that's what i was afraid of. i have irrigated every square that isn't a mountain (2 grass plains and a bunch of sand) and my city won't grow past 4. and what really sucks is that i can't take advantage of the gold and diamond reserves in that city because i have to focus everyone on food or they'll starve.
      Hey, if I starve them enough will the city go under?

Comment

Originally posted by madseason
        Hey, if I starve them enough will the city go under?
        If you starve your city, you WILL lose population but why do you want to do that? If you really want to lose pop, build a settler or something (settler will make you lose 2 pop; 1 for worker)...

KoalaBear33

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned

I don't know of any way to dismantle a city. In Civ2 you could always build a settler while the city size was 1 and then choose to abandon the city, but in Civ3 that doesn't work (it just makes you wait until the city grows). Does anyone know if it's possible to abandon a city?
          You can still dismantle a city via settler, and it's even somewhat easier now that they take 2 pop points. The key (took me 30 some turns to figure this out) is the city has to have NO food growth. So either zero growth (works for sure) or perhaps starvation (not confirmed) and it'll disband just like it used to.

On the other hand, if it's another civ's city you captured, the settler always shows up as a (Barbarian) settler. Minor error. Still works fine.

Comment

Working...
          X