Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What constitutes a Flood Plain?

How do you know it's a flood plain?

I was getting lot's of illnesses and there were no swamps nearby.

Thanks,

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Isn't it a separate terrain type?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Not that I could tell. When I checked the terrain it looked like a regular grassland dot square.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A flood plain is a unique terrain type which occurs when a square that would normally be desert is adjacent to a river. Flood plains produce 3/0/0, which is really 3/0/1 due to the river bonus. They can have irrigation and road to become 4/0/2, but no mining. Flood plains are extremely susceptible to disease, so they're great for early growth and settler production, but can be a real problem later in the game.

Comment

When I look at the terrain, it doesn't say floodplain, it says grassland. I'll really verify that tonight when I get home. Might be one of those senior moments. My capital was devesated by disease. Does the city have to built on it or just if there is some in the city radius. There were no swamps in reach so it had to be flood plains that were causing it. Hmmmmmmmm.
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The civilopedia and manual don't say specifically, it just says "Cities in Flood Plains and cities and units in Jungle..."

Comment

The grassland square wasn't the one causing you the problem. Most likely you built your city right on the flood plain square. Either that or you have someone working the flood plain square. A flood plain square looks just like a desert square on the map, except that it has a river along one edge with a patch of green along the riverbank.

Definitely don't found your city on a flood plain or I think you will be susceptible to disease for the entire life of the city. But even if you don't found the city on the flood plain square, your citizens are still susceptible if you have them working a flood plain square. Also, military units and workers I think are susceptible to disease if they are stationed on a flood plain square.
              Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Yeah that might be it. There was a square that looked like that, and it had wheat on it, so I may have not checked the terrain just assumed hmmm wheat=good. And I was working that square. Doh. I'll verify later,
                THANK YOU.

RAH
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Happy to help. I'm just pleased to see that when you ran into a problem that you didn't understand, you came here and asked. Everyone over in the Civ3-General forum seems to assume that every little thing they run into that they don't understand is a bug, and they immediately start a new thread announcing the so-called bug.
                  Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

i built on a wheat on a flood plain. it lost a pop point at the same time as the city i built that was surrounded by jungle. oops. i'm ripping out the jungle so that city will be safe, i'll post back here if the flood plain city gets hit by disease again.
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

No, not even thinking it was a bug, figured it was stupidity, which seems to be running rampant these days

CW
                      I lost two pop out of my cap.
                      Same time, hmmmmm, wonder if there's an oedo year concept working, that if we figure out, we can just remove the worker from the flood plain for that turn and still take advantage of the wheat that grows there.

Sidenote, you can clear a jungle, any such option for a flood plain?

RAH
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You can't clear floodplains, but you won't get diseased once you research Medicine or Sanitation (sorry, can't remember which).

Comment

I've been told on another forum that it's Sanitation that prevents losing population because of disease from flood plains.

Jay

Comment

Thanks all, I got home last night and that wheat square was a flood plain. At least My cap wasn't built on it

Since you can't do anything with it and the techs to stop it don't come early, I'll pay much closer attention in the future.

RAH
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X