Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling All Culture Vultures

How's everyone handling the culture?

I just got my butt handed to me on the "Regent" level. Overall, I was having a fun time, but I'm not sure what to think about what just happened.

I took an isolated city off the French which was right next to my capital (meanwhile, most of France is on the opposite side of the (medium) map). All four citizens were resistors, so I moved lots of troops in: 2 catapults, 4 legions, and 1 archer. A turn later, I am told that two of the resiistors were subdued. Fine, I thought, the resistance will be over soon.

BUT THEN, on the following turn, I'm told that the city defected back to the French! This wouldn't be so bad, but all the troops I put in the city are gone too! This was basically my entire offensive armed force, so now my entire Civ is a military basket case.

I'm not one to whine, but it seems extreme. Half the populace was on my side and the resistors were outnumbered by my army 7 to 2. That I should lose my seven military units to two civilian units strikes me as being way out of line.

What's everyone else think?
    Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

I wonder what you could have done differently. Since their city was near your capital (which presumably had a fairly high culture), you would think the resistance would be less.

I did capture an Egyptian city in my game that had resistors. But my culture dominated theirs, so the resistors turned into regular citizens after just 2 or 3 turns. I didn't know that what happened to you was possible - I too moved in almost the entire offensive army until the resistors stopped. I would also have been very dismayed to find that whole army suddenly in enemy hands.

So it's kind of a catch-22: you have to move in units to deal with the resistors, but those units might become enemy units if the city converts back anyway.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Two Words: American Revolution

They were outnumbered 2:1, there was NO American culture yet, and there were some troops (not many, admittedly). All of the southern portion of British North America defected, and very nearly the upper half too.
      Your.Master

High Lord of Good

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Comment

However it wasn't as if the revolutionaries in America were defecting to another culture or were conquered peoples. They were British colonists revolting against Britain. I think it's irrelevant to the discussion on this thread. I think a more apt example might be the repeated British attempts to take Buenos Aires in the early 19th Century. They kept retaking the city, then losing it becuase the portenos (people of BA) wouldn't accept them.

Comment

As long as things like this only happen every so-often, I think it's a good thing, adds unpredictability and challenge to the game.
          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
            As long as things like this only happen every so-often, I think it's a good thing, adds unpredictability and challenge to the game.
            i agree
            Second official member of OfAPeCiClu [as of 27-07-2001 12:13pm]: We will force firaxis to make a GOOD game through our sheer negativity!

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider

Sort of like a "well I'll be damned..."

but this should NOT happen often
              "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by orange

Sort of like a "well I'll be damned..."

but this should NOT happen often
                Don't use my name in vain!
                Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Do we have any hard statistics concerning dissidence and suppression of dissidence? If the citizens of a conquered city revolt, will they automatically kill all your units, regardless of how many there are? Or do your units have a chance to defend?

Any possibility of a Firaxian answering these questions? Or are they listed in the manual anywhere?

Comment

Working...
                  X