Thoughts on Corruption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Corruption?

Has anybody come up with a way to effectively deal with corruption on a huge map?

-Alech
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Re: Thoughts on Corruption?

Originally posted by Akaoz
    Has anybody come up with a way to effectively deal with corruption on a huge map?

-Alech
    not anything besides making sure you place the forbidden palace in the best possible spot.

Comment

Just build Courthouses in the cities furthest from your capital, and move to Monarchy or even better Republic as fast as possible.

Even under the better governments and with Courthouses, I still have some corruption. I haven't build the Forbidden Palace yet. It's tricky, because the place you want to build it probably has the worst corruption, and thus low production. I wish I could get a Great Leader because then I would use the Leader to rush build it, but so far no luck procuring a Leader.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

leader

had kublai khan once.

the army thing is great as the numbers add up when you attack.

Comment

Re: Thoughts on Corruption?

Originally posted by Akaoz

-Alech
          No. And it is totally ruining the gameplaying experience. Why bother founding a new city when it can't produce anything?
          "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Commerce.

Comment

I have an thought. Maybe corruption depend from NUMER of cities and not only distance. So many players are trying to build as many cities as possibile wich, maybe, increases corrupion is other cities.

Anyway if corrupion is to high is some area, don't build other cities nearby, there is no point.

And I am not sure, what is an effect of Corthouse, exactly?

Comment

Supposedly a courthouse helps to alleviate corruption.

I had a city producing 7 shields, all but 1 lost to corruption. Ordered a courthouse be built, waited a really really long time for construction to complete, gained 1 more shield *sigh*.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryM
                  Commerce.
                  Yes, I will build a commercial center with no granaries, libraries, marketplaces, temples, barracks or harbors.

My defensive units will be transported from my cities surrounding my capital.

Exactly how is this like the computer game we used to know as "Civilization?"

Question: have you played Civ3 yet? If so, how did you get around this problem?
                  "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Originally posted by LarryM
                    Commerce.
                    I'm not sure what you're pointing to when you say simply "Commerce."

Are you referring to the fact that Commercial civs have less corruption, or are you saying that even if you lose shields to corruption, you are gaining commerce?

If you are saying the latter, then I'd point out that you seem to lose approximately the same percentage of the gold produced by commerce as you lose shields in production, so in building cities for commerce, the same problem applies.

If you're saying the former, then I agree with you. But I don't think I want to have to play a commercial civ just to beat the corruption problem. There HAS to be another way I just haven't found yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                      Supposedly a courthouse helps to alleviate corruption.

I had a city producing 7 shields, all but 1 lost to corruption. Ordered a courthouse be built, waited a really really long time for construction to complete, gained 1 more shield *sigh*.
                      But how? What exactly CIVILOPEDIA says about corthouse (you know I don't have the game yet)

Comment

Bottom line is there is no easy way around Corruption in Civ3. The single best thing you can do is get out of Despotism as quickly as possible. Courthouses help somewhat, but not as much as changing government.

Arranging your initial expansion cities in a ring around your capital will help. Corruption is directly related to distance from capital. So the cities that are adjacent to your capital will be much better off than those which are 2 cities away from the capital.

In my game, I'm running Republic, and I have Courthouses in all the cities that are more than 1 city away from the capital. I have about 600 total commerce, and I am losing about 100 to corruption. It's also about the same percentage (1 out of 6) shields lost. It's bad, but it's not terrible. Most of the corruption comes from the outlying cities - the ones next to my capital now are only losing a couple shields/commerce per turn. I'm working on the Forbidden Palace in one of my outlying cities - hopefully that will help quite a bit as well.
                        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned
                          In my game, I'm running Republic, and I have Courthouses in all the cities that are more than 1 city away from the capital. I have about 600 total commerce, and I am losing about 100 to corruption. It's also about the same percentage (1 out of 6) shields lost. It's bad, but it's not terrible.
                          On what map size do you play, and how many cities do you have? (I´m asking because some other people claim that corruption and waste are unmanageable.)
                          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep

On what map size do you play, and how many cities do you have? (I´m asking because some other people claim that corruption and waste are unmanageable.)
                            Yes, apparently it scales with the map size.

In other words, the corruption distance might be measured as a percentage of the map size rather than a raw number of tiles. So while someone could set up 20 cities on a medium/large map with little corruption, I'm getting hammered by it with just 6-7 cities on a Tiny maps.

I chase directly to the Republic do all of the trade. I'll build temples a little earlier, but I can't see how that will help much. Courthouses don't make much of a dent at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lockstep

I'm on a standard size map, 8 civs (the default settings). I'm playing on Warlord (level 2). Now I have about 15 cities. But during my initial expansion I only built 5 or 6. The rest I've either conquered or assimilated. The conquered ones had bad corruption for a while, but it eased up over time (as my nearby original cities expanded their influence). The assimilated cities never had much of a corruption problem to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X