Apolyton University Modified Succession Game Sign-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmxa1
    I think most will be loathed to cheat on their friends/compatroits/fellow gamers.
    It's not really cheating, as everyone will have the extra information from the DAR. The question was more if we should all use that information, or if we should all play as if we didn't have it.

It's a bit tricky to say "play as if you don't know that there's another continent to the west" for example, because you might have sent some suicide galleys that way anyway. So now that you know there is another continent that way, will you still send some galleys west, or will you send galleys every other direction but west? The proper behavior of pretending not to know is quite subjective.

So I say use everyone's informaton. The game will be easier, but it will be more fun not to have to pretend not to know stuff, I think. And the person who discovered the continent will have the honor of a major contribution to the game, even if his save is not chosen. We can always up the difficulty if we want more of a challenge.

Comment

I am fine with what ever way you all want to do it.

Comment

Any more room on a team? Doesn't matter which type..
        Walk softly and carry a big stick...or better yet, a remote controlled nuclear device.

Comment

Originally posted by alexman
          So I say use everyone's informaton.
          But please, no collusion (i.e. "you go West, I go East")!

Dominae
          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Taian
            Any more room on a team? Doesn't matter which type..
            Yep. Glad to have you aboard Taian.

Comment

I voted to be a lurker in the other thread; but actually I would like to join this.
              So sign me up, preferably in the builder team (I usually attack quite a lot, but never early so I would be crap for a quick domination game )
              Alea iacta est!

Comment

Hmm...

Maybe we could have a "builder" team, a "warmonger" team, and a "opportunists" team. The first is the group that doesn't like fighting, or really doesn't like fighting early on. The second likes to fight, wherever/whenever. The third doesn't know until they get into the game and see the specific situation(s).

How does that sound? Do we have enough people?

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

With such differing team goals, it will be interesting to see which Civ is chosen to suit both styles.
                  "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I think there might be. If so, I would fit into the 3rd catagory - although I usually force my way into the warmonger mode as I typically do better that way.

I say monarch or emperor. I would lean towards monarch, but whatever the majority want is OK by me.
                    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Oh, do we get to choose a civ? I figured we would all be playing the same one (preferably one that can be used in both "builder" and "warmonger" roles, like Carthage).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

My brevity made me unclear. But I meant to say what you said –it will be interesting to see which Civ is chosen for all of us to play which would satisfy both roles. Carthage is okay, but I have a personal preference for UUs outside of the ancient age.

As far as difficulty, I’ll play what is handed to me. Monarch is preferable, because that’s what I play these days, but I’ll try harder if need be.
                        "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

/me will play on the opportunists team, with any civ, at any level.

Comment

The civs that I think can be used equally well by both warmongers and builders -

Egypt
                            Persia/Ottomans
                            France/Carthage
                            Americans?
                            Iroquois

I am the opportunist sort as well... but I'm still undecided right now.

-Arrian

Comment

Every civ can warmonger.

Some warmonger civs are not so good at building, most notably the Expansionist/Militaristic ones.

Dominae

Comment

I think there might be enough people to form an "opportunists" team. It's fine with me. For all those who haven't signed up for a specific team I will be dividing the teams tonight (around 9pm PST or midnight EST for those that go by it) so please get your team preference in now. I will also be posting the 4000bc save at that time so that everyone can start on Friday.

I'm planning on a turn block of 20 turns with a 5 day time limit for DAR posting (meaning the end of Tuesday). Then I will post the polls on Wednesday and they will go until the end of Thursday. Then the new save will be posted Thursday night.

Oh and for the record the game will be set at monarch level so that the graybeards will be challenged enough, and any newbies won't be scared off by the higher levels. As to the civ, yes it will be one that can be used as either a builder or a warmonger, or whatever you want. I haven't finalized that decision, but I have in mind Carthage, Germany, and Arabs. Preferences? I'm leaning toward the Arabs as they aren't overtly either type, but a good hybrid and we haven't ever used them in an AU game before.

EDIT: I would prefer not to use an industrious civ as I think they're overused and I'd like to see people work around not having that trait.

Comment

Working...
                                X