AU idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU idea

So far all of the AU games I've seen have just been maps, essentially. I think it might be interesting to have a course that started somewhere in the middle of a game, and your objective would be to, say, "take over this region" or "successfully defend against the Germans", etc. Maybe even "build these five wonders". This would also make the AU games feel more like lessons, as everyone would be in very similar situations.

That sounds like fun. I thought they did have one sort like, that. I probably confused it with a Gotm game.

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

You can have my current game if you like. I'm playing the english on a pangea map and I'm last in almost every way measurable(science, production, population, territory, economy). The goal: To win by domination.
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Theseus and some others have been working on such an idea for a while, but it seems dead now. Perhaps we should revive it?

Comment

Bear with me... RL constraints. I posted an idea at MZO that I will import to 'poly tomorrow.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Sounds good, but meantime I wouldn't mind playing another normal AU game, as long as it isn't on huge maps anymore.

Last AU-DAR game I had to quit, as the time between turns got too annoying and irritating.

I'd love an AU game on a real world map, correct starting locations, standard to large map size.
              Eventually with certain winning conditions specified.

Anyone?

AJ
              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
              - emperor level all time
              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

I think the real world map will be easier to construct in C3C.

Comment

AJ, I've been playing with a real world map idea too... I think I mentioned in one of the huge map threads. I'd love to put the player in a RW dis-advantaged position (I'm thinking of this in a Guns Germs & Steel context), tweak some other Civ3-specific stuff, and see how people do.

Two problems:
                  1) I think this would best be done on a huge map, and, uh, that ain't happening, for me at least, until I'm at 5 gigahertz and 1gig+ Ram.
                  2) I don't know how popular RW maps are with people.

It's a great idea to file away for next year maybe.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Theseus, I think a huge map will not be anything like what AU402 was like. If it has say 16 civ and normal water/land, you should see a lot less delays.
                    Of course you would get a mutiny if one was proposed real soon.

Comment

how about....

"The Power of Micromanagement"

We start with small continents on a small world. The world gives us little land and we must make the most out of it. Our DARs will allow the class to compare strategies for micromanaging empires.

And it will be quick

Comment

Quick and micromanagement? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

here's an idea

Don't know if this would make a good AU or not, but I am (mostly) trying to work this in my current game, and it is fairly interesting:

"World Peace Keeper". The objective, beside winning the game, is - by whatever means are needed - to make sure that all (in my case) 16 civs that start the game, end the game .

For the record, I'm about to lose both France and Russia before 1600 or so, mostly because I did not pursue this goal aggressively enough. But it is definitely throws some interesting curves into the game.
                          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Re: here's an idea

Originally posted by TheArsenal
                            Don't know if this would make a good AU or not, but I am (mostly) trying to work this in my current game, and it is fairly interesting:

"World Peace Keeper". The objective, beside winning the game, is - by whatever means are needed - to make sure that all (in my case) 16 civs that start the game, end the game .
                            That's a good concept, why don't you try it with 32 civs though.................

What do you have to do to start an AU course anyway? Is there some sort of approval process?

Comment

Re: here's an idea

Originally posted by TheArsenal

For the record, I'm about to lose both France and Russia before 1600 or so, mostly because I did not pursue this goal aggressively enough. But it is definitely throws some interesting curves into the game.
                              That is what I tried to do in AU402. I wanted tokeep all 24 civs around to see how long a turn would take late in the modern age.
                              In the end only 15 made as I finally had to take out two myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X