Dumping the Unwanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping the Unwanted

so heres the thing. I've noticed that as my game goes on it seems to get rather crowed for everyone in the my cities. I want to remidy this by creating a "protected" location normally a small island where I can dump the unwanted. I create either settlers or workers in crowed cities then dump them there and watch the happiness go up in the city. I like to this to captured lazy workers also.. I think there is a sinister side to this game.

I have seen other use that tactic. I am not sure if that is a good way or not. I would prefer to get some lux or use the slider to get more production from those citizens.
    I surely do not want workers doing nothing. Settlers on hand is fine, if I will have a use for them soon. Maybe you could send them to a city that need more people.

Comment

Don't add your captured workers to cities. They may work slower, but they don't require any upkeep, so they work for free. If you really feel the need to do this, then add regular workers, not sla.. er, captured workers.

Rather than doing all this, you could just build tmples, cathedrals, colloseums (sp?), marketplaces, and happiness Wonders. Also, get ahold of some luxuries, and use your luxury slider as vmxa1 said.

Comment

Originally posted by Greetings
        Don't add your captured workers to cities. They may work slower, but they don't require any upkeep, so they work for free. If you really feel the need to do this, then add regular workers, not sla.. er, captured workers.

Rather than doing all this, you could just build tmples, cathedrals, colloseums (sp?), marketplaces, and happiness Wonders. Also, get ahold of some luxuries, and use your luxury slider as vmxa1 said.
        True, but capured worker are not part of the issue as he is talking about making workers as a way to reduce the pop in a city.

You are correct about the temples and such. Even more important for those who play at Monarch or better as citizen are born unhappy so much sooner.

Comment

I usually make several mountain fortresses in my lands for use as 'worker bases', not to control unhappiness, but so I have a place to put them until pollution runs rampant. Putting them on a small island seems rather counterproductive to me.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I just stack them in groups of the size need to clear a tile in one turn (pollution that is). Back out of harms way.
            If the pollution is on a hill, I have another stack with an extra worker.
            I use to foolishly put them in a city. man it was a pain to get them out and to figure out where they were.
            I leave them in an open area and they are easy to find.

Comment

Build the 'roskilde festival' small wonder and send your workers there. Their productivity will fall but they will be much happier when they return

On-topic:
              I really wish my workers could be put on a 'semi-automatic' mode. That would remove some of the micromanagement wile keeping full control over what they were doing. Something like CTP's public works but with visible workers.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

True, but capured worker are not part of the issue as he is talking about making workers as a way to reduce the pop in a city.

You are correct about the temples and such. Even more important for those who play at Monarch or better as citizen are born unhappy so much sooner.
                I said the thing about the captured workers because BobV said, "I like to this to captured lazy workers also.."

Comment

I use to foolishly put them in a city. man it was a pain to get them out and to figure out where they were.
                  Have yet to break myself completely of that bad habit.

Inevitably, if I am on a blitz taking cities, I will go back several turns later and find workers I fortified in newly captured cities, just sitting there, instead of being useful. When I have a ton I have taken to putting all the worker in one spot deep in my territory and activating them as needed.
                  "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                    I really wish my workers could be put on a 'semi-automatic' mode. That would remove some of the micromanagement wile keeping full control over what they were doing. Something like CTP's public works but with visible workers.
                    This could be very usefull in late game where my whole empire is rail-roaded.

Originally posted by vmxa1 I use to foolishly put them in a city. man it was a pain to get them out and to figure out where they were. I leave them in an open area and they are easy to find.
                    Yes. My workers simply disappear, or trying to something useless: once I was on a huge continent and I captured a city on the "other side of the world". Then my workers tryed to connect this city with the "mother-land" with railroad.

In the meatime I was figthing agains other civs. They were between my isolated city and the homeland, so they captured a LOT of my workers, who were building a superior highway through the whole continent.

In cases like this an option can be to automate-pillage-pollution-only command for workers...

If I can not handle with the city's population and the growth, I simply build settlers, and join them to other cities, where the growth is almost 0 (but the +2 pop stil can be feeded)...

In late-games when I have trilions of slave-workers, I join all my own workers into cities. Maybe into captured cities - this is also a method for ethnic cleansing...

Comment

In late-games when I have trilions of slave-workers, I join all my own workers into cities. Maybe into captured cities - this is also a method for ethnic cleansing...
                      AAAh you do see the sinister side. Actually very recently I've turned them all into tree hugers and lumber jacks.

Comment

I remember with SMAC they had something called "The Lumberjack Challenge". You had to win a game getting all of your minerals from clearing forests -- in a game where doing so only netted you 5 minerals.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The Lux slider is great. I always have to use one. If you need to use those workers, Use them to build roads out to luxeries and use the workers to build colonies. Just dont build slaves camps.

Comment

I usually emancipate all the workers whose civs still exist.

Comment

Luckiliy the changes in the new expansion will give you something to do with those people. Make them civil engineers or policemen. Make shields and lower corruption per each. Much better imho than unhappy people or taxmen and scientists.

Comment

Working...
                              X