Elite units & GL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite units & GL's

I noticed that elite units that have produced a GL have an asterisk on their popup. Can these elite asterisk units still make GL's?...just wondering what to do them.

No, one GL per unit, UNLESS you upgrade it to something else. Example:

A horseman unit produces a GL. It gets an asterisk. That unit cannot produce another leader.

However, if you upgrade it to a Knight, it goes back to veteran and loses the asterisk. That unit can produce a leader.

And so on and so forth.

When I produce a leader with a unit that I cannot upgrade (or will not upgrade for a long time), I typically either put it in an army, if I have one, or use it as a "nutcracker" unit and don't care if it dies.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thank you for the informative reply, and so fast too!

Comment

:bows: You're welcome.

-Arrian

p.s. You also know that if you have an active Leader, you can't get another one, right?

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Interesting. I've wondered about that naming business. So then, the purpose of the asterisk and naming must be to let you know the unit can't be upgraded.
          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            :bows: You're welcome.

-Arrian

p.s. You also know that if you have an active Leader, you can't get another one, right?
            No I didn't know that either! That could explain why I get so few even though I'm aggressively militaristic. I save them for FP and Mich's Chapel. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
              Interesting. I've wondered about that naming business. So then, the purpose of the asterisk and naming must be to let you know the unit can't be upgraded.
              Nah, the asterisk is there to show you that the unit produced a leader. Nothing to do with upgrading. The naming is just a "cool" thing you get to do (though now with PTW you can name any unit you want).

Kirby,

You're welcome again. I threw that out there because it seems to be something that many people don't know (at least until the pop up here and ask, usually VERY frustrated with their lack of leaders).

If I'm saving a leader for something, I typically hold my elites out of the fighting, hoarding them for later.

-Arrian

Comment

D'oh! I was using faulty terminology saying "upgrade" instead of "promote".
                "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I was wondering if that was it... it makes sense if you switch the terms.

-Arrian

Comment

If at all possible, use a leader immediately. It's not impossible to get more than one (my current record is three in a Modern Age war) in a single turn! Of course, by the time you can get a leader back to your core in a single turn and keep attacking with elites, you probably won't find many wonders available for use, but you can always make some armies...

Comment

I've gotten 3 leaders in a single turn using Riders. That was a nice string of luck, I'll grant you. Sun Tzu, Sistine, Leos. Bang, bang, bang. It was beautiful.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        I've gotten 3 leaders in a single turn using Riders. That was a nice string of luck, I'll grant you. Sun Tzu, Sistine, Leos. Bang, bang, bang. It was beautiful.

-Arrian
                        I hope you got screen shots, I find this hard to believe. I almost never get leaders even when I try to be an aggressive lunatic.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

No screenshots, no, you will just have to take my word for it. I'm not making it up.

Clearly, that was one of the best results I've ever had.

I seem to be having REALLY streaky luck lately. I started a game as China (emperor) and got a leader from my first elite victory. I quit that game because it was going terribly despite the leader. I started a second game (china, emperor) and AGAIN got a leader from the first elite victory. That one I have played until the beginning of the industrial age, but have yet to finish. Then I started two games as Japan (monarch), and NADA. Tons of elite wins, no leaders. Then I started up a game as Rome (monarch) and Voila! first elite win = leader.

Streaky.

-Arrian

Comment

Perhaps you emit some kind of leader creating radiation from your fingertips.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I work pretty hard at getting leaders. Then again, in the last game I mentioned - the Roman one - I didn't get another leader for a long time, despite trying like hell. I finally got one with a cavalry unit (the first one was from an archer).

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X