X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonies

Hi!

....hm, the OCC game...

I've never used them before (and I think it can be useful in OCC) so, I have some questions about the colonies:

1. Will I loose my colonies, if an another civ builds a city beside it?

2. Do you get the extra gold from it (for example on gold mine)?

3. And finally what do you think about it (especially in OCCs)?

Any comments, suggestions warmly welcome,

cumi

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Never made much of them... then again, never tried OCC either .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have never used colonies, and I have wrecked the fortunes of several otherwise-powerful AIs that have depended on them.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

3. I don't think they will be all that helpful because the answer to #1 is an emphatic YES. You will lose them as cultural borders of the AI expand, you will need to keep some kind of defensive unit to protect the colony until it goes away, and you will need some kind of connection (road, harbor through a nearby city, etc.) between the colony and your city. And it won't be long before all the land with resources has been settled and spoken for.

If #1 were true, colonies would become more interesting and much more annoying.
        badams

Comment

I've made use of Colonies in OCC.

*** Potential AU302 Spoiler ***

Depending on how where you put your city and how fast your borders expand, I imagine you can make good use of a Colony or two in AU302.

Dominae
          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I'm playing the OCC AU right now, and I'm really glad I established a spice colony.
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Luxuries actually increase the tile's output so if it is within your city range you will get a bonus.

***spoiler***

I built my city on the southern hill and I built one spice colony which lasted until the mid-industrial age when my city increased its borders 5 tiles away and absorbed it.
              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

*** AU302 Spoiler ***

There are no Spices on the home island. There are 2 Furs and 5 Ivory close to the start location, as well as 4 Dyes at some distance. It would be interesting to see if someone can hold the Dyes for any extended period of time.

Dominae

Comment

IMO colonies are only temporary (apart from OCC games, maybe). I have used them only once, where I wanted to exploit a coal resource in the middle of a war zone, and I didn't want to waste a settler. The coal enabled my workers to lay rails, and cities to start building factories. Fortunately, the rails and the factories will be completed even though the resource is no longer available.

(I like the flag, cumi )

Comment

Originally posted by Don Giovanni
                    (I like the flag, cumi )
                    Which one? My country flag? Hungarian.

Comment

Which one? My country flag? Hungarian.
                      My bad. I thought it was a Kurdish flag, and with tank underneath ... I hope that I didn't hurt your pride!

Comment

I didn't really understand the answer to question #1. They goes away but if you have a warrior or the like on it, it stays?

My second question is regarding the latest AU. Where is the mod for AUs, for ordinary Civ that is? And does it contains any known bugs?

Btw thanks for writing spoiler in the posts that contains spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlado
                          I didn't really understand the answer to question #1. They goes away but if you have a warrior or the like on it, it stays?
                          If you have a Colony and it falls under the Cultural borders of another civ, you lose the Colony. Any unit positioned on that tile will not be lost. I believe this answers your question in the other thread as well.

My second question is regarding the latest AU. Where is the mod for AUs, for ordinary Civ that is? And does it contains any known bugs?
                          Check the description of AU in the first post of AU302 for what this whole thing is all about. The AU mod does not contain any bugs per se, since it only involves changes in the editor. However, it is a work in progress, and so some changes are periodically re-changed to make for a better game.

Hope this helps.

Dominae

Comment

Working...
                          X