No announcement yet.

Skipping Chivalry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading this thread, I thought I'd try skipping Chivalry and heading straight for MT. Maybe this is a good strategy for the highly skilled but I don't think I'll try it again. I routinely play huge maps on Regent and that's about all the challenge I can handle with my present skills. Playing this one as the expansionist Zulu, I charged through the ancient era techs by popping goody huts and was leading in points. After feudalism I went down the low branch and about the time I was researching gunpowder nearly every other civ (six by my last count) declared war on me and at least three of them hit me with knights. With nothing but pikemen and longbowmen to defend with, I didn't stand a chance. I switched to Chivalry shortly after they jumped me but they quickly knocked out my iron. It's not a matter of whether or not one is a warmonger, war is a fact of life. You may not want to jump them but they will jump you.

Comment

If so many declared war on you, I would suspect it was your military standing that caused the problem, not skipping Kinghts.
      The AI will be inclinded to jump you if you are weak compared to them. Check the advisor and make more units, if that is the case.

Once someone declares, get some friends, before he does. If you skipped chiv, you should have gotten some othe techs to trade.
      Good Luck.

Comment

Re: Overall military weakness...

Perhaps someone could direct me to a good thread on this issue?

I've found that having 8 veteran warriors is a greater "deterrent" than having several spearmen and archers but perhaps an undefended city or two... this has prompted attacks on the defended cities as well, whereas having 1 or 2 vet warriors in a city seems to act as a "deterrent," on Monarch level at least, for a good time. I don't quite understand the logic...
        You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

I did see a thread that talked about how to calculate the number and types of troops to rate a civ for strength.
          They patched the AI a long time ago to make it do a better job of considering the unit strengths, but it stll seems to be swayed by sheer numbers.
          The military advisor will tell you where you stand from the AI perspective.

Comment

I typically only go for Chivalry if its the tech for my UU. I usually get to Tradition in time for the the next war phase and my early game is spent mostly on defense and infrastructure.

I'm just a big cuddly pacifist I guess.

Comment

GhengisFarb it is not so much a function of peace or war as it is a way to get to the next age sooner. You can pick up Chiv cheaper later, unless there is a compelling reason.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                I'm just a big cuddly pacifist I guess.
                Yeah, I noticed that about you.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I dont usually have a problem skipping Chivalry.

Normally, I make a beeline for Gunpowder. Musketeers are an even fight versus knights and when fortified in cities throw knights back on thier armored rumps.

If I ever NEED knights, thats because someone else has them too. In which case I do whatever it takes to trade for Chivalry. Saves me time and effort from having to research it myself.

The ONLY time I felt compelled to research it myself was when I was on my "I wanna play India" kick. And then it was only because their UU required Chivalry.
                  Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

On Monarch level at least, it all seems very much in the air. Researching it seems unncessary, even IF your UU requires chivalry. You can always trade SOMETHING for it... Coming in "late in the game" with Riders, Ansars or Samurai, you can still make a MAJOR impact, in my view. Hence, acquiring Chivalry first isn't necessarily a priority, but acquiring it before everyone's cities are packed to the gills with musketmen seems important.

As for the Indians... well, with that War Elephant... good TIMING for a GA, but there are other ways for the Indians to get their GA while beelining for MT.
                    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

Yeah, I noticed that about you.
                      Exactly, in the Create A Civ PBEM I had a Jag Warrior on a hill adjacent to notyoueither's undefended city and Worker.

And I walked away like the good friendly pacifist that I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X