Cossacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cossacks

Ive kind of stumbled upon it, but on my recent game with the russians ive found how this units are effective,
    somewhere up until the industrial age youre getting a unit that have the best attack and mobility figures in the game and the best defence until nationalty(Rifeman).
    Ive found them extremely useful in terrorizing persian cities

anybody else have any expiernce in cossack warfare?

But when you consider nationality and military tradition are separated by like maybe 8-12 turns, how effective is that ability? Although its true it makes Russian cavalry slightly more annoying, espically if they are ahead in tech.

Comment

Thats true,
      but if got a tech lead over the AI or you just went straight to military tradition. you gain a decent time space to assemble a cossack task force and get some terrtorial gains.
      besides cavalry and cavalry based units are not useless against riflemen, i think that against infantry and mech. infantry they become cannon fodders.

Comment

I consider cavalry to be one of the top 'Let's conquer the world NOW' units. If you have a large force of knights just waiting to get upgraded, the money to do it and the enemy is 8-10 turns away from nationalism then you have just the advantage you need to roll over several AI civs.
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

The Ottoman UU (forgot its name) seems more useful: it's greater attack can make lot's of damage, even in disadvantage when compared to infantry. They are a real top "let's conquer the world NOW" (that's gonna be a new term here, bongo! ) unit.

Comment

The Russians have advantage early (although not much).

They are Expansionist, so they start out with a scout.
            They are also Scientific (giving them Bronze Working)

Because of this, you never have to build a Warrior (Spearman for Defense, Scouts for, well, Scouting)

Nationalism is near Military Tradition so the Cossak's defense is not as valuble as the Ottoman Sipahi's offense.
            Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi
              The Ottoman UU (forgot its name) seems more useful: it's greater attack can make lot's of damage, even in disadvantage when compared to infantry. They are a real top "let's conquer the world NOW" (that's gonna be a new term here, bongo! ) unit.
              Agreed. The superior movement, I think its 7, make this one of my favorite UUs by far.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I think it's an attack value of 8, not a movement value of 7(THAT would be weird), but I agree. It's the best of the cavalry units.

During the game there are several point where a window of opportunity opens if you can get a tech lead. In my opinion military tradition is the greatest, followed by motorized transportation. Iron working, horseback riding and chivalry are also goodies for warmongerers like myself

Let's conquer the world NOW
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Who needs a tech lead? Archer rushes, or my favorite, swordsmen SODs. Swordsmen work wonders till feudalism is found. And they are still very effective against ironless societies.

Plus, the AI is so bad at fighting, that any war with superior numbers will win.

But I must admit, I still love rolling over backwards civs with my MA. MA v. Infantry or riflemen. It's much harder to get a tech lead in Civ III compared to the two previous civs.
                  badams

Comment

I hate doing Tanks vs MI wars.... Way too much casualties..

In Modern Times I usually go the bottom techs first to get Internet Wonder. But I ended up giving everybody, including my enemy MI...

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                      I think it's an attack value of 8, not a movement value of 7(THAT would be weird), but I agree. It's the best of the cavalry units.

During the game there are several point where a window of opportunity opens if you can get a tech lead. In my opinion military tradition is the greatest, followed by motorized transportation. Iron working, horseback riding and chivalry are also goodies for warmongerers like myself

Let's conquer the world NOW
                      Does Cavalry have an attack of 7 our 8?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I thought
                      Cavalry was 6.3.3
                      Cossak's were 6.4.3 and
                      Sipahi's were 7.3.3

Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV
                        Cavalry was 6.3.3
                        Cossak's were 6.4.3 and
                        Sipahi's were 7.3.3

Am I wrong?
                        Just on the last one -- Sipahi have an attack of 8. You're rememebring correctly on the other two units.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                          I consider cavalry to be one of the top 'Let's conquer the world NOW' units. If you have a large force of knights just waiting to get upgraded, the money to do it and the enemy is 8-10 turns away from nationalism then you have just the advantage you need to roll over several AI civs.
                          What's even nastier is 60 or so horsemen, a nice tech lead, a pile of cash, and Leonardo's Workshop. Say bye-bye. (I've been known to deliberately avoid getting Chivalry in order to build massive forces of horsemen for upgrade directly to cavalry.)

Comment

Originally posted by Louis XXIV

Does Cavalry have an attack of 7 our 8?

Cavalry was 6.3.3
                            Cossak's were 6.4.3 and
                            Sipahi's were 7.3.3

Am I wrong?
                            Probably the PTW manual confused you as it said the Sipahi were 7, but they are 8.

Comment

Actually, I don't have PTW.

I was looking on Civ3's web site.

Thanks for the info

8.3.3! Ouch, that's powerful

They should raise the Cossak's defense to 5, just to be fair.

BTW, I can't remember about Chinese Riders either.
                              The web site says 4.4.3, I see a lot of sites say 4.3.3.
                              Which is it?
                              (The manual is no hope, saying 2.2.2, replaces Horseman)

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X