No announcement yet.

Huge Map AU: Preliminary Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The challange with Archipelago games is that it's harder on the logistics side. Early conquest is limited, unless you have Lighthouse. Moving troops around from islands to islands is a pain, before Flight that is.

Then there's the Corruption issue. With continents you can usually get a better bigger productive empire, since you can have FP and Palace covering your huge continent. In Arch games, you need to either put both in the small island you started with or have one in first island and one in another.

From there on any other islands you capture is pretty much useless, production-wise, other than to secure Luxury/Strategic resources.

Comment

The challenge and - I would assume - fun of playing an archipelageo world would be in building/expanding your empire together... and then holding it together. But that challenge is the same irregardless of map size (unless you were to play a tiny world, I suppose), so for the Huge Map AU, let's stick with continents (for now).
      You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

YS,

I to your superior wisdom

So continents be it. Just don't make them too small, or you'll be playing on an archipelago without knowing it

Are we going for v1.29.f or PTW? (I don't have it )

I was thinking of all the juicy inputs to the thread 'The Ultimate Guide on Game Strategy on a Huge Map'...
        The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Awesome! My lobbying pays off!

Well, if you don't have PTW, we better use 1.29 I guess... fine with me... although I'll miss seeing some of the "newer" civs in action (especially those miserable Carthaginians!)

I thought of a list of questions/issues we should consider, for the "academic" portion of the AU:

- Is the "early archer rush" still effective, and if so, under what conditions?

- When do you launch your first war (wars of defense do not count)? What units and tactics do you employ?

- How do you time your GA?

- What are the "must have" wonders?

- Which is preferrable, monarchy or republic?

- Later, which is preferrable, communism or democracy?

- How feasible/valuable are "overseas" possessions?

- Which are the most effective UUs?

- Which are the best traits?

- Who are the deadliest enemies, over the course of the game? (this might be a hard one to answer)

- How many neighbors are the ideal number?

These are just some thoughts. Some of you huge map players might already have the answers, or some answers anyhow. But I think we can all discover at least something new in this AU, especially if we who play huge maps generally play as an unlikely civ (try the Romans - you'll want to slit your wrists!).

Anyhow, I look forward to the beginning of the game!
          You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

Working...
          X