Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using certain cities primarily as settler/worker pumps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very good concept

Good job, guys. This has worked superb in my recent games

Comment

Originally posted by Artifex
      Are there some good examples of someone doing a first 300-400 turns walkthru or even most of the ancient/medieval ages..on how to properly rex and expand? On emperor or above, ofcourse.

My question is still not answered basically, do you create a settler in every one of your cities when it reaches size 3 until there is no more room for expansion? Or at some point do you put most cities over to units/infrastructure and then designate 1 or 2 cities as settler factories?
      1. Try the Quick Start games over at CFC, where as part of their GOTM they do intensive reviews of the early game, to either 1000BC or 10AD, I think (but be ready for some harsh criticism).

2. I typically designate towns with high food production tiles as Worker / Settler Factories right away, including the capitol if need be (and there can be, and hopefully is, more than one). Towns on rivers, if possible, I try to grow as large as I can keep them happy... they build units and infrastructure, and Workers and Settlers just to lower pop when necessary. Crap towns are often temporary, and restricted to Workers and basic military units.

So in other words, no I do not AT ALL subscribe to the "REX by building a Settler every time a town hits 3 pop" practice.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'm currently playing a game where I have two captured cities that are in the way of my "pattern" of cities. Instead of abandoning them outright, I have been using them as worker pumps. They don't grow larger than 1 and they pump out workers every 5 turns (the same rate of pop-growth). It is working quite well. Perhaps I underestimated the usefullness of this strategy.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

hi ,

the best is to use captured cities for this , if they are in a wrong place , well its production of settlers and workers , with whats in the city being sold on turn one , this way you dont have to pay the hurry fine at ones ( you get a shield ) and just hurry the rest

in never hurts at the start to get at least one city with a granary , it pays itself back

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            I'm currently playing a game where I have two captured cities that are in the way of my "pattern" of cities. Instead of abandoning them outright, I have been using them as worker pumps. They don't grow larger than 1 and they pump out workers every 5 turns (the same rate of pop-growth). It is working quite well. Perhaps I underestimated the usefullness of this strategy.
            Sava, can you check something for me...

I've recently realized that even if the AI civs who founded those towns are dead and gone, the citizens retain that nationality until assimilation, but that if you continually pump out workers, assimilation doesn't seem to happen, AND the workers, as foreign slaves, are free.

Almost an exploit.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Theseus, I'm pretty sure that any new citizens are your own. I'm not sure which citizen get's chosen to become the worker, but once the foreign nationals become workers, they will not be replaced with other foreign nationals, they will be replaced with your own nationals in population growth. So while you may think it looks like an exploit, you do have a finite number of foreign nationals to make into slaves.

Sometimes when I wanted to create all the foreign nationals in a city in to slaves (culture flipping you know) without starving a city, my nationals get mixed in with population growth, and often they are the ones that turn into workers and not the foreign nationals. So I learned to keep the population from growing..
              badams

Comment

Hmmm...

Not exactly sure how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by badams52
                  Theseus, I'm pretty sure that any new citizens are your own. I'm not sure which citizen get's chosen to become the worker, but once the foreign nationals become workers, they will not be replaced with other foreign nationals, they will be replaced with your own nationals in population growth. So while you may think it looks like an exploit, you do have a finite number of foreign nationals to make into slaves.

Sometimes when I wanted to create all the foreign nationals in a city in to slaves (culture flipping you know) without starving a city, my nationals get mixed in with population growth, and often they are the ones that turn into workers and not the foreign nationals. So I learned to keep the population from growing..
                  hi ,

they are your own if the city grew before the worker comes out , .....

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                  X