Playing at Emperor on a Huge archipelago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bongo,

having played both, looks like Mountain Sage is playing with accelerated growth.
    badams

Comment

Hi everybody,

Now you got me baffled....
      First Theseus tells me I am playing with a heavy modded game...
      Now you come with 'accelerated growth'...
      My production on the Governor's screen for growth is 'sometimes'.
      What's going on???
      And I thought I just bought a plain Civ3 game + v1.29f patch
      The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

"Accelerated Production" is an option that appears on the last of the game set-up screens (I think just above the difficulty level choice). It halves the amount of food needed for population growth and the number of shields needed for building projects (perghaps also the cost of tech advances?). See how in your city's screenshot only 30 shields are needed to build a musketeer? If you check the civilopedia, I think you'll find the musketeer is a 60-shield unit. See how you need only 20 bushels of food to grow your city? You would normally need 40 bushels of food to grow when the city is a City (size 7 - 12).

You are playing the game with "accelerated production" elected. At the start of the next game, during the set-up process, when you get a chance to toggle game conditions (like enabling or disabling certain victory conditions), be sure to either: (1) de-select "accelerated production" or (2) select "defalut rules."

I think you'll find the game moves at a decidely different pace with AP turned off ("AP" was made avialable specifically for MP games -- an effort to shorten the time commitment needed for one game -- this doesn;t mean you can;t play with it on in SP, but I'd venture a guess that most don't play SP with it on).

Catt

Comment

Accelerated growth is an option you set up at the beginning of your game. According to the manual (which is sometimes wrong), accelerated growth is well... I checked in the manual and it is not even mentionned...!

Accelerated growth basically cuts the number of shields and food required in half. For example, if you need 60 shields to produce a unit, you only need 30 under Accelerated production. Same goes for the food.

--Kon--

edit: cross-post with Catt...
          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Catt and Konquest02,

Thanks for the explanation
            I went twice thru the manual last night and got

I realize I learned 10x more tips and strategies since I actively joined 'poly than in all my previous games combined

Comment

Accelerated Production was added in a patch, and therefore didn't exist when the Civ3 manual was printed.
              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I have seen posters claim that this feature favors the human because the AI can't handle it properly. Comments anyone? I haven't used it myself so I wouldn't know.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

bongo,

I'll reply as soon as I have finished 10 games without it.

Comment

I've heard the same bongo. And if you hear it on poly, it's gotta be the truth.

Right?

Comment

Accelerated Production was added in a patch, and therefore didn't exist when the Civ3 manual was printed.
                      As did lots of other stuff.

Comment

Ah, not a mod... I've never once played with AP on, so it did not occur to me.

It would seem to me that good tile usage would be that much more important in the early game (unless the AI just totally loses it).
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

It would seem to me that good tile usage would be that much more important in the early game (unless the AI just totally loses it).
                          Yes, Theseus, you made your point
                          I'm learning all the tiles outputs + possible improvents by heart right now

The first terrain improvements on AU207 look a bit better. I'll post them asa I'm finished with the game.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X