Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to take out superior enemies, WW1 style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to take out superior enemies, WW1 style?

I've seen alot of talk on these forums about attacking during earlier parts of the game, but I usually can't manage to take out everyone I'd like to that early in the game. Alot of the time when I play on Monarch, there will be a super power AI and eventualy it will come after me.

I've found that the computer's complete lack of skill in using massed artillery makes the ideal time to strike a superior civ the time inbetween Replacable Parts and Mobile Warfare.

When I've played a war during this period, the enemy sends all its mobile forces out ahead....and usually its out in the open and intercepted before they even get to a city. Besides at this point, cavalry is pretty much useless in my book, except to be sacrficed when I have the enemy infantry stack surrounded and low on HP.

But the crazy thing is when the infantry stack comes. It just marches in, by passing highly defended cities, charging into your interior to some weakly defended city. The trick is to put an infantry or 2 on defensive terrian near by the infantry stack so its always on low defense ground. Then once you've massed enough of your own infantry, completely surround the enemy infantry and fortfiy (usually you have rails so you can fortify the same turn). Of course I've been pumpling them with artillery the whole time as they head to the weakly defended city. Once surrounded, the enemy has to either charge your infantry at about 3 to 1 odds or worse....or sit there while you continue to pound them with artillery.

Enemy armies act really strangely when completely surrounded. They'll often fight, and take huge losses doing it. But the point is the longest period of time between mobile unit advances, and the point where the AI's lack of artillery skills is the most vital. Once the enemy is low on HP, it doesn't matter what you attack the infantry with usually. ^_^ The only bad thing I can think of is if the enemy gets battlefeild medience, but...usually artillery does more damage than they can heal, and the enemy army will charge your infantry anyway......losing massively.

Infantry and Artillery are fantastic units to get by then, and they can't be easily challenged before Tanks, if you use them right.

The thing with Cavalry is that they have their chance to retreat from battles to recover, so despite their lower attack value, in large numbers they can take out infantry if used loosely with few of their own casualties.

And in the early game I don't know how many opponents some of the greats here aim to take out, but for me one is enough. Even that gives me somewhere near double the civ most other civs are.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well I always use the cavalry to attack first, when given the choice between cavalry and infantry. The cavalry does get away, even if its a slight percentage of the time now, plus usually I want the cavalry to die, if its dying usefully. They can't be upgraded, and they are spending money. Infantry and artillery can be upgraded, and I want to spend my resources building those.

Some other points I should have made before too....

Even if you are behind in tech a little bit, you can usually get to replaceable parts before an opponent can get to mobile warfare.

Also you can employ all your city defenders as an offensive infantry force, and replace the city defenders with conscripts as long as happiness allows.

Comment

That event about surround enemy forces is true. I remember once when I made a living frontier barrier (lots of units), but I forgot only 1 spot... in the middle of a mountain chain. The enemy (egyptian b********!) came with at least 50-70 units, all IN THE SAME SPOT. I do not have to say that I annihilated their country basically because of such huge gigantic mistake, and that was the only thing that separated my victory from my oblivion.

Comment

Just make long lines of infantry+altillery and recreate Trench warfare.

Comment

As if the french trench worked in the real world
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

It worked very well, forcing attackers to take heavy causalties.
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Their Fortification was the one that didnt work, The Maginot Line..

Comment

I did a stupid move in a recent game during the early Modern Times. I was carthage and the 2nd largest empire. Babylonia, my main adversary, was #1 in land size and had a lot of oil, but most of his central cities were in jungle. I had no sorces of oil, I get oil from China, who is on the SW boarder of Babylonia; Montezuma, Liz, and I were to the east of Babylonia; Greece was south of China. I had a MPP with Mao to make Hammurabi think twice before going to war. Hammurabi had a MPP with Alexander. I had started to build tanks so I could do a kind of "Shlieffen Plan" in which I could take a few Babylonian cities before I get Greek tanks landing on my east coast and had to concentrate on defending the homeland. When war began I imediately started my plan, but was horrified when I found I could no longer build Tanks, Mech. Inf., and Battleships. Hammurabi had pillaged the road to one of China's two sorces of oil! It was all downhill from there.

Comment

That's why I always, ALWAYS try to guarantee my own source of coal, iron and oil. Got trashed down a good number of times because 1) the enemy cut down my lines or 2) the b***ard got my "ally" with him, and then I got 3-4-all civs vs. me. Rarely survive. If I manage to live through some peace treaties...

edit: english spelling mistake.

Comment

i've heard that infantry + artillery strategy many times, i think i'll use it then.

Pedrojedi, about those english spelling mistakes, i feel your pain
                      Sos groso, sabelo!
                      "Yo a mis equipos los coloco bien el la cancha, lo que pasa es que cuando empieza el partido los jugadores se mueven" - Alfio "Coco" Basile

"En el fútbol la que manda es la pelota" - Ángel Cappa

Comment

Originally posted by minke19104
                        Their Fortification was the one that didnt work, The Maginot Line..
                        What do you mean? It held. It was the strategic decisions that went along with it that led to the French defeat.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Was the maginot line ever tested in combat? Didn't the germans just circumvent it by going through belgium?
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                            Was the maginot line ever tested in combat? Didn't the germans just circumvent it by going through belgium?
                            That's what I meant..

Comment

That they chose to go around it rather than through it speaks volumes. That the French chose not to finish it (ending it only when they reached the northern coast, and then refused to account for the possibility of an end-run in their planning, was inexcusable.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X