What I've Learned on the Way to Emperor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbarclay
    If you still have the 4000 BC save of that by any chance, I might be interested in giving it a try and showing how our approaches differ - if I can ever find the time.

Nathan
    Nathan, the save is in the zip file earlier in the thread.

Badams: Thanks. I fixed it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

More "learnings" please.
    I'm working on it! I'm forgetting what I used to do wrong.

Comment

Wow, great game BRC!

I really liked your Punative Expedition to Paris! I've done that (to Berlin).

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Wow, great game BRC!

I really liked your Punative Expedition to Paris! I've done that (to Berlin).

-Arrian
        While it wasn't in the optimal path to beat the game, it really made me feel a lot better. I think I lost 2 Sipahi in the attack. I'll make that trade any day.

Plus, it was fun.

Additional Learning #1: Workers. Using them to their fullest will give you a huge boost. Don't just randomly improve the terrain around your cities. Priortize the tiles that will be used first. Another important thing to note is the # of turns that a worker takes to complete a turn. (For example, irrigating takes less turns than mining) Look at Cracker's site via CFC for help.

Comment

Very true, about the workers. Terrain development, especially early in the game, is crucial.

I'm glad that "Ultimate Power" inspired you. Now you're playing higher difficulty than I do.

I'm going with a different route: playing for UP on Monarch with civs I consider(ed) so-so. I've been playing Rome a lot. I did manage a true UP game as them recently.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Very true, about the workers. Terrain development, especially early in the game, is crucial.

I'm glad that "Ultimate Power" inspired you. Now you're playing higher difficulty than I do.

I'm going with a different route: playing for UP on Monarch with civs I consider(ed) so-so. I've been playing Rome a lot. I did manage a true UP game as them recently.

-Arrian
            Just because I'm playing at a higher level doesn't make me better! I know where I got my ideas from, and from whom.

Right before I read this, I was thinking my next few games would be with civs that I'm not used to, using approaches that are unfamiliar to me. I don't know if I'm ready for Rome though. Might try a commercial civ though, like Greece.

Comment

Originally posted by BRC
              Just because I'm playing at a higher level doesn't make me better!
              I beat Emperor all the time and I'm still a hack at this game.

Here is my learning, "Diplomacy is HUGE."

Comment

Hi!
                It's my first post on these forums, and I enjoy very much being able to share thoughts with all you "civilized" people
                I'm not a total begginer in Civ3 (just started a game on Monarch after getting bored of Regent), but I appreciate all the good stuff you pros give for newbies & weaklings, yet sometimes I just don't get the abrevs.
                Yes, I've read the Abreviations thread in general forum, but there are not all there! For instance, BRC posts "Additional Learning #1" with some basic stuff in it (so it clearly is meant for beginners), yet WTF is the "Cracker's site via CFC for help"?? Maybe it is obvious for most people, or I am stupid or something, but what does it mean? Thanks for help in advance, pity 2-tile-spacing works (I used to love those widely spaced cities on regent/prince in civ2), and good night to you all.

Comment

Originally posted by pepi
                  Hi!
                  It's my first post on these forums, and I enjoy very much being able to share thoughts with all you "civilized" people
                  I'm not a total begginer in Civ3 (just started a game on Monarch after getting bored of Regent), but I appreciate all the good stuff you pros give for newbies & weaklings, yet sometimes I just don't get the abrevs.
                  Yes, I've read the Abreviations thread in general forum, but there are not all there! For instance, BRC posts "Additional Learning #1" with some basic stuff in it (so it clearly is meant for beginners), yet WTF is the "Cracker's site via CFC for help"?? Maybe it is obvious for most people, or I am stupid or something, but what does it mean? Thanks for help in advance, pity 2-tile-spacing works (I used to love those widely spaced cities on regent/prince in civ2), and good night to you all.
                  Sorry Pepi. Check this out.

Improving Your Opening Play Skills

Comment

Yes we tend to get lazy and use short cuts, but just ask for an explaination, no problem. It will boost your post count and speed your advancement, so it is a good thing. At least until King or Emperor, the next boost is so far away for emperor they have no real need to spam.

Comment

Slowmovers, man, strong slowmovers... classic infantry. The high ground. The Red Tide. Pax Romana. Hide the women and children...

Rome? So-so?

SPQR.

(I'm ba-aack... enough demogame obsession... General and Strat rule!)

(and Arrian, get on to Emperor already!)
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        (and Arrian, get on to Emperor already!)
                        Seriously...you beat AU206 on Monarch handily enough.

Dominae
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Arrian has played emperor, so as long as you can beat EMP/Deity, play whatever level you find fun.
                          Me I do not find deity fun, so I only play once or twice for each new patch and then go back to Emp or even Monarch. Of course we have had a lot of patches if you count PTW and its fixes.
                          I still have not tried the new one as I am messing with Moo3 right now.

Comment

I'm with vmxa1 and Arrian on this issue. I've beaten diety, but it's not my idea of fun. Getting to UP...now that is fun!
                            badams

Comment

Working...
                            X