A Dry, Hot Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dry, Hot Land

I've been using the random setting (and I usually start and restart a game several times till I find land a game where I get to expand before the AI closes in and with situations that seem interesting to me) and I ended up with this!
    Attached Files
    badams

Makes for an interesting game if you start out down South. The AIs would beat up on each other most probably, while you struggle to keep up in techs/expansion.

Dominae
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

The blue dot is my (babylon) starting location. Red is Rome's (they've got 2 grassland cows next to an inland sea and they mine them both ) and Purlpe, Iroquois'. Certainly not as bad as Aeson's infamous start, but...

If you're massochistic enough to try it here's the 4000 BC save.
      Attached Files
      badams

Comment

Oh, monarch level vanila 1.29 f civ
        badams

Comment

I would like to try it, but I feel guilty about still having the NIC game to finish...sigh.

Dominae

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
            Makes for an interesting game if you start out down South. The AIs would beat up on each other most probably, while you struggle to keep up in techs/expansion.
            How would you expand, I started by maknig my second city all the way out by the wines then started back filling 3-Tile. Rome's attacking the Iroquois and making them pay, I paid tribute.
            badams

Comment

I would like to try it, but I feel guilty about still having the NIC game to finish...sigh.
              Sorry about that Dom. How far are you? Almost finished?
              badams

Comment

I've got the game wrapped up (just Germans and Russians left - Germans no longer have access to Horses or Gunpowder, Russians are on a smallish island), but as usual things take a while to run their course. I will finish it though, and will produce a full report.

Dominae

Comment

Purple (North) :Shift settler one tile due west; found capital there.

Red (Center) : Found city in place.

In either case: Cut REX short for war with the other.

Blue (South) : Restart. Capital zone can't be irrigated until Enginerring.

Too much desert nearby for growth.

Center oppoent too far away for Archer rushing.

Dominae
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Well, I just finished the game tonight. Write up coming soon, maybe tomorrow.
                    badams

Comment

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

My second city was Ur all the way in the good land to the north east. From there I backfilled my cities and was able to found Akkad between Ur and Veii, while Rome was busy bopping the second city created by the Iroquios and settling the rest of the land for themselves.

Though my land was terrible, Ellipi was lucky enough to be able to quickly build an FP (since I had little else for it to build) and I started right away (thanks Catt ). With the land the way it was, I was perpetually behind in tech and bought what I could except I researched literature myself and held it alone till the GL was built in Babylon. My suicide galleys (after finally getting map making from the Romans) found an island chain and later found the Russians. Egypt, whom I heard built colossus was no where to be found. All that remained was Russian cities, and Russia got the Great Lighthouse allowing them to settle the worthless islands between the continents. The finding of Russia brought great knowledge to the Babylons as the techs poured in.

Then Rome, the second largest Empire in the world decided the continent wasn't big enough for the two of us and started marching troops into Babylonian territory. I immetiately demanded Rome's legions of doom leave or declare war and he quickly obliged declaring war.
                      Attached Files
                      badams

Comment

Rome's First Folly

Rome sent his legions of doom toward 2 cities: Ashur and Akkad. Seeing a streamline of legions might look daunting, but I told my troops, "head to the hills and mountains and use the land to help your defense." The troops must have used my advice wisely as Rome's legions of doom suffered defeat after defeat trying to attack my fortified pikemen on the mountains and hills.

Meanwhile, the Iroquois decided now was their chance to take revenge on the Romans while their armies were occupied in the southern lands. Rome quickly took their last remaining city.

Rome not wanting war anymore agreed to peace terms with Babylon.
                        Attached Files
                        badams

Comment

Second verse, same as the first

A couple centuries later, Rome is still second banana in the world as it seems, and with a larger army, Rome again starts moving into Babylon territory where by I again tell Caesar to "leave or declare war" (we all know what large masses of units moving towards your land means) and he says, "so be it, war it is."

Rome moves his legions of doom once again towards Akkad and after Babylonian reinforcements arrive, Caesar moves his even larger legions of doom towards Ashur. Having learned some military secrets from the GL, namely chivalry and gunpowder, I tell my troops the same thing, defend in the hills and mountains. Little did my 3 pikemen squads and lone muskateer squad know they would see 11 legionary units (the legion of doom) coming down the mountain towards their fortified hill positions (number 1 & 2 on the map).

The troops fought bravely, but alas the legion of doom broke through while taking heavy casualties. Seeing the legion of doom hurting, I quickly sent my knights and swordsmen to attack up the mountain. A risky move that paid off when all but 2 legionary units were destroyed with the two remaining down to their last hitpoint were later routed as they tried to retreat.

And just as Hitler didn't learn from Napolean trying to invade Russia, Caesar didn't learn from himself and committed the same mistake twice, only this time it would cost more than just a cause for peace.
                          Attached Files
                          badams

Comment

Having routed the legions of doom, I took a sense of security and put forth my master plan into action. Not wanting to see anymore legionairies or knights from Rome, I quickly dispatched two galleys filled with 2 musketmen each and sent them to the two iron sources of Rome. The two musketmen at Viroconium camped out and never tasted the steel or bows of the Romans. The two near Salamanca constantly fell victim to Longbowmen attacks, but Rome couldn't re-build the roads fast enough as galley's kept dropping off musketmen. The workers would flee, the longbowmen would attack, the musketmen would sometimes get there, sometimes die in route to the iron, but either way, it delayed Rome's iron so well that no more legionaries, knights, or musketmen were trained.
                            Attached Files
                            badams

Comment

The continual fall of Rome...Palace moved

The hand of God (or the RNG ) was on the side of the Babylonians as Roman cities fortified with legionaries, pikemen and a couple of musketmen kept falling to Babylonian knights again and again. God really punished Rome, the most heavily guarded Roman city, and it fell easily and without Babylonian blood being spilt.

As such, the push towards more fertile northern lands went quickly and as Neapolis fell, the first Babylonian leader was born. Quickly, I sent my leader to recently conquered Antium and established my new palace creating less corruption in the more fertile, production rich, OCP-spaced cities of the newly forming Babylonian empire.

A second and final leader came shortly thereafter and built the only wonder available to Babylon at the time: Sun Tzu's.

Yellow line - old Babylonian border
                              Yellow circle - old capitol
                              Orange circle - FP
                              Green circle - new capitol
                              Attached Files
                              badams

Comment

Working...
                              X