No announcement yet.

The Rise and Power of Uncle Sam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks like a lot of fun. Sir Ralph, I like that you solicited someone else to tailor a game for you... I've often wanted to play specific types of games that the random map just can't give me. I won't make them myself, becaue then I know everything... I never thought of this.

I smell an idea for a project... AU extra credit, if you will. Willing participants design games with high chance of killer AIs, interesting landscapes, unusual (for the random map maker) challenges, English Channels, etc. and they post them in one place where the rest of us can play them strictly for fun.

Extra things like "must have Native American reservations" can be thrown in for some, and some could be standard games....

after all, the AU games designed by people wind up being a lot of fun, but they only come out when we have a particular lesson to learn.

What do you guys think?

Comment

It is a fun game. Designed less to be a challenge, more to be fun. I'm already in the early modern age, but don't have the time for a detailed AAR now.

As for the AU project, well Alex and me already thought of this. I would volunteer to make the map this time. You hammer out the conditions.

My experiences from this game so far: Monarch made it waaaay too easy. I am researching at a killer pace, industrial techs every 4-6 turns, modern techs starting at 7 turns, rapidly sinking after research labs (Internet, of course). Tons of money. This makes the ages run very quickly and leaves not much time for fun projects.

So far I have four bases. 3 around Asia (2 Chinese cities, 1 Arabian) and one island in the Indian ocean (the one near India), settled myself. France is getting spanked by a Anglo-German-Russian alliance. I would love to "save frog's ass", but there's the rule to stay allied with England. A rule conflict. Don't know how to be, at least if I don't help France now, they'll be wiped out. Perhaps in an AU game such rules should be softened a bit.

Comment

If you must choose between staying allied with England and saving the Frogs, you gotta go with England. The mother country and all that, you know. Sorry, Joany!

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
          As for the AU project, well Alex and me already thought of this. I would volunteer to make the map this time. You hammer out the conditions.
          Glad to see I'm not alone on this. I'd propose that we don't wory about one person making "the" map for any current time... and that we should have as many "extra credit" games going at once as we can.

I'd love to see a map that has a real incentive to use naval blockades. access to ocean trades via bays and gulfs. I'm able to start work on such a thing after next Monday, if people are interested.

Comment

And I agree that the spirit of these should be "just for fun," and less about learning.

Comment

Sir Ralph,
              What graphic mode do you have? That water looks like from CTP2. And it's nice. (The deeper sea...)

Where can I find it?
              I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

It's Sn00py's newest mod. Located on the PtW CD and, of course, in the Civ3-Files section. The only thing I did was to keep the rivers from Sn00py's older mod.

Comment

Working...
                X