The energyzer bunny map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The energyzer bunny map

This is, I think, an interesting and difficult situation.

It as an all random start on emp, standard size. The issue is what to do when you have plenty of space, very little lux, and no one to fight.

Subtitle: so, you think granaries are not a good idea?
    Attached Files
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Screenshots?
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Data

If you will, could you look at the map please. It's the way the map unfolds that is of interest so a picture would be a spoiler.

Comment

Here is my poor excuse for a start.

We began on pottery and sent the first warrior around the initial hut. Hannibal was pleased that water was available.

Started a barracks prebuild to switch to granary. Turn ten popped the hut giving us CB.

Our exploratory warrior kept going round huts because we did not want to lose him. By the time of writing, we were running a 5 gold surplus.

We built a road out to the site of our second city, which was going to try for the GL. After finishing two tiles we took water back to the capital.

Utica was built and started on a temple.

Leptis was built and the Leptis / Cahthage pair started building warriors and settlers. The entertainment slider began to come into play.

In 1350 bc Japan builds the Collosus and we are one turn from writing.

We switch to literature and finally start popping some huts, quickly losing the first exploratory warrior. More warriors are avalable now, however, and we look to complete exploration of the wierd land mass. We are clearly all alone.

The situation is in the file attached. GL looks like a long shot chance at best. What could you folks have done to produce a better start?

Attached Files

Comment

I've not tried this yet so I won't post any general comments. But if the GLibrary is looking doubtful, wouldn't switching to Mapmaking with 0% tax and getting the Lighthouse be a good idea?
          As well as bringing the contacts forward, this would help colonising your weirdly shaped continent

Comment

Yes, even if we do get the GL, we gotta get outta this place asap. The GL should not be such a longshot. I made a dumb blunder that eveyone who looks at this will point out first thing. Mapmaking is next on the docket.

Comment

Here's my attempt. I'm not sure that I would have done exactly the same if I hadn't read your first post.
              Firstly, my cities were supposed to be closer together than they are. For some reason, given a chance to play builder, I forget all I've learned. There's going to be 1 more city near my capital that I haven't built yet. However, yours are definitely too close IMHO. I just don't see the swordmen rush working that well. Thats why I'd start as a pure builder. So why the barracks? Build more granaries instead.
              I know you know that Carthage ought to have a temple. I built a granary rather than a temple in Utica which was next to the lake. This means it's a size 7 and 11 turns closer to the Pyramids but I have 50% entertainment.
              What are you going to do with 500 gold? If you get the GL, its virtually useless. You'd have been better off researching.
              Of course, I have contact which always helps.
              Attached Files

Comment

There's nothing like trying things again. This is what the last save was supposed to look like:
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I'm eager to have a look. I believe you are largely correct that I plowed ahead with my usual warmonger style afer a resonable person would have begun guessing that there was no one to fight.

"I know you know that Carthage ought to have a temple. I built a granary rather than a temple in Utica which was next to the lake. This means it's a size 7 and 11 turns closer to the Pyramids but I have 50% entertainment."

Not building next to the lake was the biggest bonehead mistake, I agree. I was keeping Carthage at 4 or less and I'm not so sure a temple is a must. Good debating point.

I also agree that my warmonger city spacing and barracks are not needed for as long as they went on.

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr
                    I was keeping Carthage at 4 or less and I'm not so sure a temple is a must.
                    With 50% luxuries, Carthage was never going to be unhappy. It's more that when Carthage reaches 1000 culture, you'll be able to see any units on the opposite shore. Of course, you don't know whether or not that's an island then.

Comment

Working...
                    X