No announcement yet.

Palace Relocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada boasts some great comedians such as Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, and Dan Akroyd. Sorry, it almost sounds like I'm standing up for them.

Back to (somewhat) the topic, this reminds me of one idea I always had to upgrade the Civ series was to have natural wonders a la Niagra Falls, Grand Canyon, or even the Alps, Amazon etc. It would boost the cultural and/or trade value of the city that has them within its radius, and increase the strength of the map-related random seed.

Just one of many thoughts I have during commute.
    "One riot; one ranger."
    --A motto of the Texas Rangers

Comment

Natural Wonders would be great.

Canada did produce Shania Twain... I thank you.

Thanks for the comments

Yeah, I tend to move my palace when I need to, I am rather carless about, and I tend to try and conquer the world so I need to some of the times.

I like to move my palace, build wonders there, and then move it again, repeat. It seems to give me a larger and quicker production value out of my new and/or isolated towns. I also like to move it right onto my boarders were I can ussually take some towns through culture.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Doesn't SMAC have natural "named" areas? It's been awhile since I played.
        Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

I believe they did.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

What happens to the culture the couple of millenia old palace is creating/has created?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I believe the cumulative culture points from the relocated palace are reset to the new city.

But the palace is a minority culture provider (considering that it is the first improvement that you have). Play a game without relocating it, then compare the cpt of the palace to, say, your temple or library or a GW and it will be considerably smaller.

I believe. I'll look to verify and revisit if need be.
              "One riot; one ranger."
              --A motto of the Texas Rangers

Comment

Re: Palace Relocation

Originally posted by Japher
                Is it wise to relocate your palace when your territory gets to big?

I just moved mine with a Leader and it seems to be working... I might do it again... Is it worth it? Do you do it?
                I usually relocate my palace 3 or 4 times on my own continent and once or twice to a second continent. I move the palace in a gradual manner, allowing the # of useful cities to grow as the palace is moved. You do not have to have a leader to do this (although it is the most effective) just look at a good shield city near the frontier and build it there, it wont take that long (any thing over 30 turns is too long) and it will increase the # of productive cities.

I should note that moving your palace is dependent on map size and OCN #. The larger the size and OCN the more effective the palace jump will be.
                * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by laissez-faire
                  I believe the cumulative culture points from the relocated palace are reset to the new city.
                  Incorrect, the former capital retains all culture from the old palace, it just will not gain any future culture from the palace

But the palace is a minority culture provider (considering that it is the first improvement that you have). Play a game without relocating it, then compare the cpt of the palace to, say, your temple or library or a GW and it will be considerably smaller.

I believe. I'll look to verify and revisit if need be.
                  Correct, the palace is a small culture provider (1CP). I have modded Harbors, Airports, and Commercial Docks to have 1 CP as well. With the palace move you will lose 1 cp per turn, not a big loss in my opioion (assuming the palace had a 1000 yr bonus)
                  * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                  * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                  * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                  * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                  X