Install a new Governor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install a new Governor?

When at War, What do you do most often, Raze the city or Install a New Governor?

I like capturing cities if I plan on destroying the Civ in question utterly (the closest one). I'll usually capture a few of the last remaining cities on my last sweep through the nation to save time. Once my country is satifactory though, I Raze every city that I conquer even if it has a GW...I really like destroying the older ones...

Anyway , I know it can be largely circumstancial, but I know that people develop certain strategys and was just wondering how this element fits into yours?

Overall I will say that I am a CRAZY-RAZIN' WAR MONGRELIN' S.O.B!!!

So , waddaya say to Razing? or
    What would you need for a Military Alliance vs. the Indians?

Razing is barbaric!!!
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Razing will damage your rep, esp. razing a foreign capital. And taking the city over may land you a few useful improvements -- possibly a harbor, barracks, etc. (Never a cultural building: these are automatically destroyed upon capture.)
      On the other hand, the flip risk creates serious strategic challenges, and may slow down an invasion.
      Generally speaking, I capture more cities in the early going of the game, and tend to raze later in the game. Also, the further away from my capital a city is, the less likely I am to keep it.

Of course, on the last few rounds in the process of wiping a civ out (assuming respawn is turned off), you can afford to start keeping the cities.
      Razing the last city will cripple your rep, btw.
      aka, Unique Unit
      Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Razing cities also leaves more open land for the other civs to grab. Remember, they have settlers just waiting around for land to become available!

Comment

I prefer to starve captured cities down to only 1 or 2 pop so they grow back with my citizens and don't flip. Usually I only start wars and capture cities when I intend to wipe out that particular AI civ so flipping is not an issue long term.

I do occasionally raze a badly placed AI city in order to give a neighbouring one room to grow. I will also raze the first city I capture when invading another continent so I can replace it with a settler and then have a city on that continent with little or no risk of flipping to act as a secure base.
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The AI looks at how many cities it has realtive to OCN limit. If below the limit, it always keep the city. If at or above the limit, the AI will raize the city unless it contains a GW or is needed for a luxary or strategic resource.

As for what humans should do: If you don't think you can keep the city (either to military action or culture), then raize it, otherwise install the governor.

Then if the city is too poorly located, then rush workers & settlers to disband it. (If you can't afford the cash due to the large size, then you might want to raize as well.)
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

i always install a new gov and proceed with ethnic cleansing.

i starve the city, and when the resistance ends, i rush (poprush works even faster) workers and either use them aq slaves or boost the population of my major cities.

when the city is completely dead, i move in one of my own settlers and put the city where the ai SHOULD have put it.
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I never raze. Of course I like to go for the diplomatic win if I can't domination before then. So I need to be

Comment

Working...
                X