Military traight: it's not just for war monglers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military traight: it's not just for war monglers

I've found some cool uses for the Militarytrait, even if you NEVER fight an offensive war for the whole game.

1. Half Priced Harbors: On my games on random generated tiny maps, it seems that almost every city site adjoins the ocean. (8 of 10 cities in my Chinese game on one landmass [shared with Japan], 14 out of 14 cities in my Aztec game, 11 on Pangena [nearest neighbor Irq], 2 on a twenty-something tile island [with 1 city spot free of enemy culture left in the northwest, the north eastern section is under foreign culture from a city across the straights], 1 on a five tile island [shared with Eqyptains] )

This in turn has allowed:

A. Faster trade connection with the Irq. (They built a harbor before I got alround to making a direct land connection.) It's likely that the Americans or Eqyptains will build a harbor before a natural connection is built as well due to the mountain tile choke points a road must pass thru.

B. Cheaper Rush buying of the Harbors to islands. Bringing their luxaries to them without too many entertainers.

C. More food in certain food shortage cities. (Two of my cities have a lot of Jungle, and another has a lot of hills.)

D. After hospitals, I'll also be able to use additional harbors on the core cities for exploding the commerence that much earlier due to the half price.

2. Half Priced City Walls: With the Irq as a neighbor, city walls on the two bordering cities with them were definately needed on Emperor level during the ideal time for a Mounted Warriror rush just in case.

3. Half Priced Baracks: On the Emperor level, some modern military is also needed to keep the peace along with fast healing just in case, and so being half priced let the cities start on their Court House earlier. In fact corruption was so bad initally on these city sites that I dought I could have built the Walls and Baracks without a Court House without the military discount.

Edit: Airport deleted since Workers can't be airlifted.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

With respect to #4, I thought you couldn't airlift workers. Was that changed?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

All those extras still don't add up to the value of Militaristic's greatest benefit: the ultra-early great leader.

Comment

No matter what I do, I never have gotten ultra-early leader (earliest is around 300 BC).... OTOH, once the americans (who declared a war on me) got a GL in 1825 BC from the first battle between us (I attacked their elite warrior with my regular archer).

I'll say they were soo lucky...
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I've gotten a couple of ultra-early leaders. Most of the time as a non-militaristic civ (a couple times as Egypt, once recently as the Ottomans). It was easier when the barbarians would attack anything in sight. Pop a hut with barbs, survive the 3 attacks, *presto* elite unit. Get a couple, and whack an AI settler team with them. Then kill anything that comes your way and hope you get a leader. It worked relatively well, because even if you didn't get the leader, you hurt 1 AI civ badly.

Now it's a little harder to train up non-militaristic civ's units on barbs, because the little bastards run away.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In regular Civ3, the ultra early leader is as easy to get with a military civ than with a non-military civ. The mil trait only affects the promotion of units, not leader genereation. Popping a barb hut, surviving and taking this unit to the enemy territory might generate a leader, and the process is the same with a mil or non-mil civ. You usually don't get REALLY early elite units on the AI's units because they often don't have enough to promote your guy to elite.

Thus, millitary early leader generation is not really affected. Of course, you can get early barracks, but it does not change that much.

Personnally, I only had 1 UEGL, and it was it the Babs (i.e. non-military civ).

--Kon--
            Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Kon you said it better than I did.

-Arrian

Comment

Oops, your right. Editing my top post.

Originally posted by Arrian
                With respect to #4, I thought you couldn't airlift workers. Was that changed?

-Arrian
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Like Konquest02, I find that barbarbian setting is the most influentical setting for getting ultra-early leaders.

Myself, I've never gotten an Ultra-early leader, the earliest I've gotten one was with France during the second war (mostly Horsemen) with a leftover Swordmen from late in the 1st war. I used that one for the Great Libary.

The most leaders I've gotten was with Eqypt: 4 but all of them in the modern era. 3 of them were turned into armies, with the 4th relocating my palace to reduce corrpution / waste in the newly annexed territory. (That palace relocation was actually a waste of time though because the game ended the next turn via domination victory.)

The other time I got a Great Leader at all with Persia, with my Calvary vs Russian Musket Men.

(4 complete games with NO Great Leaders appearing at all, including as China)

Originally posted by Konquest02
                  In regular Civ3, the ultra early leader is as easy to get with a military civ than with a non-military civ. The mil trait only affects the promotion of units, not leader genereation. Popping a barb hut, surviving and taking this unit to the enemy territory might generate a leader, and the process is the same with a mil or non-mil civ. You usually don't get REALLY early elite units on the AI's units because they often don't have enough to promote your guy to elite.

Thus, millitary early leader generation is not really affected. Of course, you can get early barracks, but it does not change that much.

Personnally, I only had 1 UEGL, and it was it the Babs (i.e. non-military civ).

--Kon--
                  Templar Science Minister

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    I've gotten a couple of ultra-early leaders. Most of the time as a non-militaristic civ (a couple times as Egypt, once recently as the Ottomans). It was easier when the barbarians would attack anything in sight. Pop a hut with barbs, survive the 3 attacks, *presto* elite unit. Get a couple, and whack an AI settler team with them. Then kill anything that comes your way and hope you get a leader. It worked relatively well, because even if you didn't get the leader, you hurt 1 AI civ badly.

Now it's a little harder to train up non-militaristic civ's units on barbs, because the little bastards run away.

-Arrian
                    Aztec Jas anyone? train those Jags and up them to a elite swordmen.
                    :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                      Aztec Jas anyone? train those Jags and up them to a elite swordmen.
                      Or you could turn them into Veteran Swordsmen if you're talking upgrade.
                      Elite + Upgrade = Veteran
                      So you still have to get that promotion, which puts you no better off than building Swordsmen the "normal" way with barracks, aside from timing.
                      "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

And if those Elite Jags started out as regs, when upgraded to Swordmen, they will be regular again.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

Re: Military traight: it's not just for war monglers

Originally posted by joncnunn
                          I've found some cool uses for the Military traight,
                          By the way, it's "trait", not "traight"

Comment

Re: Re: Military traight: it's not just for war monglers

Originally posted by mattcj

By the way, it's "trait", not "traight"
                            ...mongle too...

Comment

And if those Elite Jags started out as regs, when upgraded to Swordmen, they will be regular again.
                              Not to pile on the criticism (jeez, lay off the typos), but a regular jag that became elite and was then upgraded to a swordsman would be a Veteran swordsman, not a regular. A unit that is upgrade retains its experience level at the time of upgrading - the upper limit, however, is veteran.

I know, because I pay attention to any of my original scouting warriors that get promoted to veteran: they will be sent to the city where I am massing vet warriors for the upgrade. Elites will not be upgraded. Regulars hang out for MP duty until republic and are then disbanded.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X