The Best Civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Civilization

What do you think is the best Civilization in civilization 3??Just wondering because i am so addicted to this game(civilization 3).I've been wanting to Get alpha Centauri (the newest version) so if anyone is selling it please tell me i will probally buy it from you!!!!!!

I like the Egyptians best, I think. At least overall. But give me a huge pangaea and Iroquois have the best everything unique to civs, IMO.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Personaaly, I don't think there is a clear winner.
      The best thing you can IMO, is take a civ that suits your playing style, make it work for you
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There are 2 kinds of "best" Civs:
        1. The civ that is the easiest to play with.
        2. The civ that you like the most.

For me, they are not the same. I think the Chinese are the easiest to play with, but I like the Romans the most.

Comment

Egypt is the most flexible, but I'm with alva, it depends on what you want to do in a given game.

I can make an argument for most any civ.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

i agree with you all. I thik egypt is the best civ becouse it have both the best abilities
            industrous is by far the best, and i thok religion is the second, beter than cultural and militaristic. about the UU, agree about the pangea thing, but i prefer to play on random maps always
            "7. Sobre todo tipo de cosas que no entendemos, mejor es callarse" Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Phylosophycus
            "Mas vale un pajaro en la mano....que papa a los quince"
            "No se que armas se usaran en la tercera guerra mundial, pero si se que la cuarta sera con piedras y palos"
            "Recuerde, un pais que tiene principios, tiene fin"

Comment

If I am going for a warmonger-style game, then I want a Militaristic/Religious Civ.

The Aztecs don't get much benefit out of their UU unless you are willing to go for a Despotic Golden Age, but their speed means that it's almost like getting the Expansionist trait for free.

As for the Japanese, the Samurai unit definitely dominates. Its 4 Attack and 2 Movement matches the Knight, it requires no Horses, and it is the ONLY unit with a 4 Defense that is available before Gunpowder! As a bonus, enemy Knights don't retreat from it in combat, which means that the Japanese have the defensive advantage from Chivalry up until Nationalism, with a unit that matches the best Attack available until Calvary.

The Celts make a nice middle ground between the two. Their 3/2/2 UU is great for late Ancient Age conquest--it dominates the period between Iron Working and Chivalry, provided that you have a decent industrial base to build them.

On the other hand, if I want to play as a builder, I prefer the mix of Industrious plus Commercial, Religious, or Scientific. My one exception to this is the Babylonians--the Religious/Scientific combination makes them dominate culturally, despite their UU becoming virtually obsolete with Iron Working.

My favorite is Carthage. Its 2/3/1 Numidan Mercenary is just as useful as the Roman Legion--great for both attack and defense. Some people may complain about it having one less attack point for the same 30 shield investment, but the fact that it requires no resources AND can be built with Bronze Working means that you can use it early--it comes before ANY 3 Attack unit becomes available (Swordsmen and all variants, or Mounted Warrior), and you can usually mount a Numidan rush as quickly as an Archer rush, so you will be going up against mostly Warriors and Archers, not Swordsmen and Horsemen.
              Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Personnally, I really like China, Japan and Babylon, but it depends on the kind of game I'd like to play. If I go for a really military active game (which I do more and more often ) I like China or Persia. If I go for a "pure builder" game, Babylon is my choice. But it is really situation and playstyle dependant.

Look in the AU202 thread, we are playing as the often neglecte expansionnist civs. Some are playing the English and are finding great aspects of this Civ...

--Kon--
                Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Germans- just blitzkrieg and the whole world will be yours
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Like them all in their own little ways but the romans are my favourite!
                    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Aye but romans suck
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                        Aye but romans suck
                        Why do they suck? Explain.

Why do you like Branwen so much?

Comment

I prefer Carthage for a mostly peaceful game, China for a warmongering, and now Ottomans for a mix of the two. Though with the 8/3/3 Siphai its starting to look like they might replace China as my warmongering civ. Especially since if you're leading it tech you can be using Siphais against Musketmen, then Riflemen later on. And they just slice through them. Not to mention their attack animation rules.
                          "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless

Why do the Romans suck? Explain.

Why do you like Branwen so much?
                            The Romans are rather mismatched. They have:

Militaristic - Great for fighting early wars
                            Defensive UU - Great for avoiding early wars
                            Commercial - Great for squeezing more industrial age production out of your large empire

So while they have something for everyone, they don't match any specific playstyle. If I wanted a good all-around civ I'd pick something industrious.

What is Branwen?

Comment

Legion defense? Great for fighting early wars.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                              X