Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Strategic Choice

Hello all,

I just had something VERY cool happen in a PTW (SP)game that I would like to present for general consumption/play.

Playing as the Ottomans on Monarch with my normal map settings (standard, 70% water, normal, normal, 4 billion, roaming barbs) I got a leader in an archer war in 1025BC, and I think it is a situation where there are 3 viable uses for him (Army, Pyramids, hold for FP or Palace move).

I debated it for a while, and eventually chose Pyramids, though it was a close one. So the two remaining options are Army and Palace/FP.

I have attached the 1025BC save from when I generated the leader. I have just made peace with the Aztecs, whom I thrashed. Anyone want to play it out for a bit, going with one of the parallel universes?

-Arrian

p.s. You will have to change production in Tenochiticlan -I have it set to Pyramids so the leader can rush it next turn.
    Attached Files
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Arrian, Check out the AU205 spoiler thread to see what Dominae did with an early leader...
    Theseus: "winning through research, trade, and diplomacy is (I think) actually more sophisticated than through war" 03/12/2002

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
    De Gaulle, Strasbourg, novembre 1959.

Comment

Nice scientific spirit Arrian! I volunteer to play it out with the Army route. When (in the game) do you think would be a good point to report my findings?

Dominae
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Beat me to it... aaargh.

(dreams of Horseman/Knight/Sipahi Army)

I'll do the FP universe, but I might be a bit slow.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
          Beat me to it... aaargh.

(dreams of Horseman/Knight/Sipahi Army)
          You know what, I'm easy either way. If you're having dreams of Armies, who am I to deny you their reality (after all, you're the proponent of Armies here on 'Poly)?

Starting the FP/Palace alternate universe now (...we'll just have to see which of us is more successful!).

Edit: Hm, it's almost midnight; "starting the FP/Palace alternate universe sometime tomorrow..."

Dominae

Comment

Je t'aime les Canuckois.

(did I write that correctly?)
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Is the great library already built? I would have held it for that, if it was an option. The pyramids are nice, but the great library is better.

The problem with holding Great Leaders is that you give up any more Great Leaders you might have generated. If I've got a lot of elites and I'm serioiusly at war, I'll burn a Great Leader and whatever is fastest, just so I have opportunities for more.

I've actually generated as many as 3 in one turn using tanks. By that time, though, there was nothing to do with them other than make armies.

Making an army is so far down my list of choices that I only do it if I have no Wonders to build, and I expect to generate more because I'm in the middle of a long war.

- Gus

Comment

Is the great library already built? I would have held it for that, if it was an option. The pyramids are nice, but the great library is better.
                I would probably spend it on an army for the HE. However, this choice varies greatly with playstyle. I also don't know if I would hold it for GL, as it is still buildable at the higher levels(correct?).

Theseus: I must have missed all your talk about mixed armies. Could you direct me to the info. I'm being deprived of the joy that you have found.

Comment

Je t'aime les Canuckois.

(did I write that correctly?)
                  Hm, [resisting the urge not to use the lol emoticon] well...I don't think so. Literally, you wrote: "I love (/really like) you, the Canucks". Let me know if that's what you wanted to say...

Dominae

Comment

Originally posted by GusSmed
                    I couldn't resist the urge and loaded up Arrian's game. From what I can see, the Great Library wouldn't be so useful in this game, as tech parity has been achieved by the human player about 3/4 of the way through the Ancient age. There is still some room for expansion, though, so I can see why the Pyramids are a fine option in this case.

Dominae

Comment

I'll do the FP universe, but I might be a bit slow.
                      The FP Universe? The sounds like fun ....
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Great Library not built (1025BC, wow that would be early). I will be the first to literature. Building the Pyramids now prevents any of the AIs from switching to the GL. I then built it manually in Istanbul. It's true that I only got 1 or 2 techs from it, but it DID trigger my GA.

I was thinking of 1000AD as a good date to compare "universes." If you have the patience to play it out that far. I wasn't paying attention to the date counter when I saved and quit last night, but I was in the early middle ages. I could have been farther in, but I ran 100% tax for most of my golden age, milking the GL as best I could.

I figure both the Army and Palace/FP choices would take a while to pay off, which is why I was thinking 1000AD.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So, "grog want granary ... Grog Want Granary ... GROG WANT GRANARY!"?
                          aka, Unique Unit
                          Wielder of Weapons of Mass Distraction

Comment

Yeah, Grog was hungry last night. He was having trouble convincing eggs to aspire to omlettehood (he doesn't know about fire yet). The Pyramids really did pay off, especially since I have a fair amount of jungle to clear, but I'm curious about the other paths.

Funny, I still haven't ever given Grog his Tank. Even though Grog has existed in a couple of games (elite* warrior), I always end up upgrading him to a swordsman and using him. He either gets killed, or becomes part of a sword army which eventually gets an infantry because I forget about the Tank. Poor guy.

-Arrian

Comment

Even though Grog has existed in a couple of games (elite* warrior), I always end up upgrading him to a swordsman and using him. He either gets killed, or becomes part of a sword army which eventually gets an infantry because I forget about the Tank. Poor guy.
                              I always wondered who Grog was. I've had one. He didn't get a tank either.

Comment

Working...
                              X