No announcement yet.

Optimal FP Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I get Great Leaders, there's always something I can build that's better for them, so I always normal build the FP following the rushing of pre-builds.

In this particlar case, I got as many luxaries as possible (which was only 4 because the dumb Astecs didn't have a Harbor built.) Calculations showed that even combined 10% luxaries and Colossum wouldn't have caused a WLTPD, so I didn't bother with either. (Catherdrial was in fact needed to ensure order maintaigned while building it without entertainers.) The FP was built somewhat closer to my palace than I would have chosen had a WLTPD been feasible. (Second ring out with fresh water and lots of flood plains & hills instead of third ring out with lots of plains & hills. Tiny map.)

If you expand equally in all directions from your palace, then a city next to your existing Palace may in fact be the best location for a FP, but such equal expansions are rare.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

When I build the FP manually but far from the capitol, I will use the following:

temple
      courthouse

As I usually play religious civs, the temple is usually done very early (10 turns, rush). The courthouse may be forest-chop assisted and then bought. I allow the city to get to size 6, and turn 1 citizen into an entertainer. That should get the city into WLTKD (of course this depends on the luxury situation). Most of the time, this results in 3-4 shields in a non-GA situation. More if in GA.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

This question has probably been answered eons ago in the FP thread, but here goes: if you build the FP, does the Palace jump still work? In other words, will the Palace always jump to the FP city (due to higher culture, assuming you haven't built any other cultural improvements)?

Dominae
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

In my recent game:

my original palace was in the city with black circle.
          my fp is in the city with red circle
          my new palace is in the city with blue circle (far away in the other continent)

I had less than 5% corruption&waste in the broad lower part of my original continent, so building palace to new continent really helps your economy and production.
          Attached Files
          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

With just the lower half of the contienant, orignal Palace & FP locations look ideal.

The addition of the the northen part of the contienant would have made a lot more cities FP centric than Palace centric. The lopsideiness remains after capturing all small islands on the map.

On the new contienant, the western part of it was old Palace centric, but the south central portion was FP centric.

The main reason that the overall economy improved after moving that original palace, is that under the new palace location, the cities are almost exactly evenly split between being FP centric and New Palace centric.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

aaglo,

I would have attacked the Green civ up north (Greece?)and moved the palace to the city where their culture is jutting eastward into yours. That should cover the entire northern bulge, and your coastal cities along the bay (SE of my proposed palace location). That way you would have 1 gigantic, productive continent (the grey civ - Zulu? - could be wiped out easily).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I played this game trying out the oscillating wars - system. And my next target would have been the greeks and Indians (the small gray mass), but the game ended on domination after I wiped out the americans (Cyan)...
                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Here's the FP+Palace Placement Thread.

"Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Working...
                  X