the beauty of cruise missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the beauty of cruise missiles

wow! just discovered the wonder of cruise missiles. perfect for the democracy at war that does not want to get bogged down with a huge, expensive, military. playing the americans, cranking out units like no tomorrow, but democracy. cruise missiles blow thinngs up real good, and don't stick around to weigh down your economy. nice!
    "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

... and when they target cities, they only hit defending units. No collateral damage (e.g., marketplaces).

Comment

really? did not notice that, but now that you say it.....though kind of a non issue, since all those thinbgs but a few like aqueducts, barracks and hospitals get blowed up anyway.......
      "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

Blown up or sold by AI before you enter city?

-- PF

Comment

They make great defensive units for outlying cities. A few cruise missiles can really knock down a stack of MA getting ready to attack. I've started using a couple of them stacked with a MI for my "border guard" outposts. Much cheaper than adding a 2nd or 3rd MI.
          "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

Hmmmmm coastal defence. The joy of it.

Comment

To bad you can't ship them by boat or air. This has so far prevented me from building them, as I normally own my home continent by the time I get them. It would make sense if they could be loaded and unloaded from transports and if nuclear subs and Aegis Cruiser could be used as launch platforms later in the game.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I think it was Vulture who found a way to ship them but I'll be damned if I remember what the trick was. This was written about in the thread for the AU game where you started just after nationalism on a small island and were forced to win by domination in an endless modern era war. Can't remember what that was called either. Excuse me, going for coffee.......
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Couldn't you just ship them with Transports?

Or that was changed with later patches?

Comment

If you want Cruise Missiles to be "shippable" just click the "load" and "unload" options in the Editor. You can just as easily click the "airlift" option as well.

Comment

Haven't done it in a while, but IIRC you can load cruise missles onto transports. The trick is, you can't load them onton ships in cities, you must have a ship on the coast and can then manually move the CM onto the ship. (BTW, this always struck me as a "bug" or flaw in programming, as opposed to an intentional feature).

Catt

Comment

Catt, you remember correctly. I do it all the time (i.e., my games never end before cruise missiles).

Olaf, please note Catt's post: Yes you CAN ship cruise missiles. Very valuable against metro defenses and MI.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                          Catt, you remember correctly. I do it all the time (i.e., my games never end before cruise missiles).

Olaf, please note Catt's post: Yes you CAN ship cruise missiles. Very valuable against metro defenses and MI.
                          I belive cruise missiles will be my favorite weapon after this. Thanks! I prefer to take cities as they are, not with all improvements thrashed.

But it should be included in the out-of-the-box-game, not as a feature or bug in the 5th patch.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre

I belive cruise missiles will be my favorite weapon after this. Thanks! I prefer to take cities as they are, not with all improvements thrashed.

But it should be included in the out-of-the-box-game, not as a feature or bug in the 5th patch.
                            I think the "no airlift / no transport cruise missles" is properly called a design decision -- there are many that one can disagree with, some changeable in the editor and others not (i.e., no upgrading army units, lethal bombarment, no airlifting workers, etc.).

The reason the specific issue of transporting cruise missles strikes me as "buggy" is because they are not given the "Load" flags in the editor by default, and they can't load into transports from a city -- every other unit that "properly" can load from the shore can also load from the city -- why the difference for cruise missles?

In any case, when I get into the modern ages and am fighting wars, I do like their ability to sink ships and, depending on circumstances, I love their hard-coded propensity to strike defenders and not improvements (it's hard to occupy and pacify a city of 15 people when the marketplace has been destroyed ).

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt

In any case, when I get into the modern ages and am fighting wars, I do like their ability to sink ships and, depending on circumstances, I love their hard-coded propensity to strike defenders and not improvements (it's hard to occupy and pacify a city of 15 people when the marketplace has been destroyed ).

Catt
                              Lethal bombardment? I did not see that. And I tried the game a lot! Perhaps I should use cruise missiles more. In my current game, I'm on a large continent and in war with 3 neighburs. Rocketry is only 3 turns away. They will suffer!

Edit: Don't write in the forums when drunk!

Comment

Working...
                              X