Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Era in One Turn!

Story:

In my current Deity game I was (surprise) way behind in tech. I had just discovered Chivalry (everyone else just entered the Industrial era) and was cranking out Riders to attack the weakest AI civ (Germany).

I was able to beat Germany using my GA. It was fairly easy considering they discovered nationalism and cranked out a few riflemen before their saltpeter was taken from them. By the way the Riders have to be the best UU in the game.

The last Germany city, Berlin, had the Great Library. One turn after taking Berlin I had entered the Industrial era and was researching industrialization. I even made money selling tech to civs that were far more advanced than I was a single turn ago.

Summary:

I went from 3 techs into the middle ages to 3 techs into the Industrial age by capturing the Great Library.

Conclusion: If your getting behind on tech Capturing the Great Library is your best hope for catching up.

On AU 104 I think (Isolation...) I managed to build the GL in my capital. Since we had deactivated galleys before astronomy I was stuck alone on my little island. I had time to research everything until education before anyone contacted me. When I finally saw a greek galley near my coast, I bought all the contacts. I got 11 techs in 1 turn!! Everything from education to steam power, nationalism and medecine.

During my wait, I built close to 100 cavalry and 80 musketmen so I then switched to invasion and finally won by spaceship...

Looking back at it, I realize it was a mistake because I lost nearly all late medieval wonders (got Adam Smith and Shakespeare...). I should have went forward instead of waiting, but it is past!!

--Kon--
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

I also noticed that capturing the Great Library will usually grant you some catching up in an almost hopeless game. A nice tactic to be used, but its window of opportunity is unfortunately so small...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

The best use I got out of capturing the GL was a Roman game I played a while back (right after 1.29 came out). I had pre-built some legionaries (vet warriors), and beelined to Monarchy. Upon switching over to Monarchy, I unleashed my legions, and conquered Japan (very weak, terrible terrain other than Kyoto). They had built the GL in Kyoto. *Boom* I got a rush of techs, and was in a GA, so I could quickly produce all the new buildings I could build. I then turned off science and rode the GL to Education, while building up an even larger force of horsemen and preparing for the Knight upgrade. Game, Set, Match.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh, the delights of the Dark Side!
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I did this on a deity game also..I was falling beind on techs (wasn't enough of a warmonger) but I captured the city w/the GL and went from Chivalry to Industrialization, minus one or two midieval techs
            Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
            Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

This is a sweet little trick. I think I got about 8 techs, 4 beyond education, my current game on Emperor. I placed a very low priority on the GL before, and now that I know this, I will let it go to an AI. Hopefully one on continent, but not adjacent to me. Kill everyone on Continent, then take the GL city. Hope they don't fix this in PTW

Comment

Working...
              X