No announcement yet.

Weird game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the confusion on female monarchs... my bad. You went after the b-tch anyway.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

i just thought it was weird that all the civs could be connected by map making
      Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

this is my biggest military yet have any of you had bigger miltarys post a screenshot or tell please.btw i also have 10 armeies below.
        Attached Files
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

flash, I did a poll once about the size of people's military... you'd be shocked!!

I personally think you've got a heck of a lot of units. Some people get up to 500-600. The most extreme I've ever gotten to was about 250 MA... it feels weird, btw, you become a mad unstoppable warmonger.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

theseus: those 250 MAs where in our strategy-god's (aeson) "so very cold (of the map generator)"-thread. but it was a huge map... flash's army is quite impressive for a standard size map allthough i think a lot more is possible (more money through: sell techs&resources for gpt, lower tech rate, blackmail oponents, etc.)
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

i could get more i havent even got to ma yet

Comment

i won by domation didnt get to ma, i think my score was around 3000
                Attached Files

Comment

I refuse to play this game on the grounds that it is not weird enough.

BTW, how is this for a military? I attempted to win a deity game entirely without horses, drafting, or armored units (no mech infs.) I was almost done but I accidentally deleted the game. The picture remains though, as a souvenir.

I tried to kill everybody before mech infantry become widely used. 6 attack is the best I could get.

There was one civ my size left, but I was pulling it out by basically putting an infantry on every square they owned and pillaging. I was out infantry-ing them when I got bored. they had 300 Riflemen at the time I took this screenshot (I got their rubber and parked 20 infantries there.)
                  Attached Files
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Now that is what I call a lot of micromanaging. I have never see so many infantry units.

Comment

I would never play that game out without wake all, fortify all, and the j key.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

JW,

I've been thinking of this lately, totally aggressive use of defensive units. Were you pillaging, or just occupying? What did the AI civs do? How many units per attack / pillage team? Did you include Arty? Did the AI civ even attack the rubber stack? Did you have any Armies involved? Given that many Infantry... god, I don't even know what to ask!! I'm assuming no Tanks yet.

Very cool.

Comment

Theseus,

I've been playing a round with the Iroquois and have found their Mounted Warriors are even nastier than Vel's Jaguar Warriors.

I lucked out and found some horses after building my 3rd city and haven't looked back since. Despite the mobility, I've found that with Cavalry and then tanks, I have to slow the advance to allow Infantry and Artillery to keep pace: I've lost too many tanks to unbelievably successful AI cavalry counter-attacks.

The funny thing is that the AI Civ will walk past stacks in the front line that are supported by Infantry to go after damaged units. Not that I mind, since they either take 1 hp from a fortified unit or they won't have movement left to attack. Just makes them easy pickings for the my forces the next turn.

This also means that I have to keep quite a few workers building roads and rail lines to newly conquered cities just to keep the infantry moving with the tanks and cavalry...

And as for being agressive with defending units, mentally picture a moving wave of infantry units moving across the map, with tanks and cavalry lashing out to destroy enemy strong points. Each turn they advance and there is no stopping them because when one falls, two more take it's place....

Like the sargeant's said: you need a man on the ground with a rifle in his hands to say you own that piece of ground.

D.
                          "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
                          leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

General D, I'm about to try that this weekend in AU 107...

I've been thinking about it a lot; sorta like RL combined ground arms, don;t you think? Along with maneuver warfare to take care of outliers... funnel the enemy onto a killing ground.

Comment

Well I kinda had about 50 units to attack each city, but most of em just moved on. I had a sort of moving wall going.

I did not build any tanks or MAs or even mech infantry. I was just messing around with infantry. By the time of that screenshot, the AIs had tech for the good stuff but none of them could build them because they had giant infantry stacks on all their resources.

Think about facing a giant infantry wall in an MP game pre-tank. There would be nothing you could do, and they would happily pillage everything until you could make a wall to stop them. You couldn't reinforce the cities behind the wall, which would fall to cavalry, and you couldn't break through the wall because of the lack of a good attacker.

Now imagine being an AI and facing this. They mostly hole up in their cities because they only go for easy fights. They see a huge stack coming, so they build defensive units and don't attack (except sometimes if you take places with resources.) Meanwhile every road gets pillaged, so they end up with these starving cities with 4 infantry and 10 riflemen. Then the upkeep gets to them, and they start losing units simply because they aren't producing any gold. (No roads) So then they lose all the riflemen.

However by the end I just kind of attacked with giant hoards because there wasn't any reason to besiege cities that I could take easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X