No announcement yet.

Submarine warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the idea of sub bombardment doesn't sit well with me, now if you mod the sub so it can load up lots of cruse missles, i can absolutly see that. and then you could also load up tac nukes and well
    Never laugh at live dragons.
    B. Baggins

Comment

Hah! i just become a Warlord!

strange to say i am a warlord and have little 7-up dots dancing around. perhaps i will make up for this by demanding tribute for my patience
      Never laugh at live dragons.
      B. Baggins

Comment

Congrats solomyr on the promotion. I think that is reason to celebrate!!!!

Now, back on topic. I have to agree with you 100%. Giving subs bombard capabilitys just dosn't sound right. Subs are not known for their naval guns. However, what if you gave them hidden nationality? It would make the seas a much more dangerous place.

Might be kinda unbalancing though...
        Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
        http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

Anaximander,

Guess you haven't checked out the latest toys in Jane's. They have had very long range torpedoes and guided missles launched from a sub for over 20 years now.

Remember the Falkland Islands ? The General Belgrano, an Argentine heavy cruiser was sunk by a torpedo from over the horizon. The British sub had been shadowing it and one torpedo sent it to the bottom...

I think a much higher attack value would be more appropriate that a bombardment cap. What I would love to see is a nuclear sub being able to carry cruise missles or ICBM's as the Russian and US subs do already.

D.

ps: Solomyr, Congratulations new Warlord.
          "Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck,
          leads the flock to fly and follow"

- Chinese Proverb

Comment

Actually, I own Jane's latest book on Submarines. Got it for a history paper over WWI U-Boats and ended up reading the damn thing cover to cover. So to answer your question Gen.Dragolen, yes I am familiar with capibilities of long range torpedos and guided missles. However, I still think that giving them bombardment would be a bad idea.

Nuc Subs CAN carry nuc missles. They are just the tactical varity. This fits in very well with reality. What I can't recall is if subs can cary cruise missles. I think they can but I can't remember... I know they did in Civ II because I used them quite a bit.
            Texas is the greatest country in the world!

Historical Rants and Philosophical Dilemmas
            http://www.geocities.com/jeff_roberts65/

Comment

Yes, modern subs carry cruise missiles IRL. Many sub-launched cruise missiles were used against Serbia. (In Civ3, nuclear subs only carry TacNukes).

Comment

Originally posted by Anaximander
                Nuc Subs CAN carry nuc missles. They are just the tactical varity. This fits in very well with reality. What I can't recall is if subs can cary cruise missles. I think they can but I can't remember... I know they did in Civ II because I used them quite a bit.
                I don't know about CIV3 (sub's carrying cruise missiles) but I remember the highlights of my CIV2 experience were subs loaded with cruise missiles. There wasn't anything bad about having a ton of subs loaded with a ton of missiles to waste your opponent while your marines and armor sweep in for the kill!
                Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Working...
                X