Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I bust up a mutual protection pact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I bust up a mutual protection pact?

I'm playing a game right now at Monarch difficulty level. I'v killed off two of the AI players and changed over to Republic. I'm even with the top AI Civ in tech, and I own more cities than any AI Civ. Three of the largest AI Civs have a mutual protection pact.

How do I bust them up? At this point I saved and tried to go to war with one of them but the others come in and I just get to many to handle. They swamp me and I can't keep up enough production to handle the load. I thought about waiting until the agreements die, but they started another one .

Pick the one that can most credibly / easily attack you on your own territory... that's who you're gonna rip up first.

Negotiate MPPs with the other two, then declare war on the third, but don;t attack... let him / her come to you, and strike the first blow.

The other two civs will then declare on your behalf.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Even more fun, don't make the MPP and let all them decalre war on you.
      You can send some units into their land and refuse to move them. You can put a spy in and get caught. You may already have peace treaty form previous wars, ask for a renegotiation and ask too much. These are ways to have them go to war with you. If you get too strong the AI may stay out of your way and if the others are sort of even and have MPP's all over the place, you can set there with no wars. That happened to me and I kept waiting for the AI to fight with one another and it did not happen.

Comment

Q: Will an AI *ever* sign a Military Alliance against a civ it has a MPP with? I ask because I've asked for these time and time again, and the AI has never taken me up, even with four modern techs, two luxuries, and 5k+ gold being offered. This was a civ that was polite, and I hadn't broken any alliances that game. Also, is there any diplomatic/reputation penalty for declaring war on a civ that you have an MPP with?
        KoH
        "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquistive idiots."

Comment

I do not know for sure, but I would think not. I have only gotten allies when they had no MPP. You suffer a penality for declaring war and for breaking any treaties.

Comment

Hmmmm....... I tried last night to get an MPP with one of the AI Civs in the alliance with no luck. They won't do it.

As for getting them to attack me..... That's the easy part! I want to avoid that. I don't have the production to fight them all without cutting back on everything while I pump out units to hold them off. That would really put me behind in the game.

The question is.... How do I get into a fight with one, and not all the rest? Is there any way to get them to break their MPPs? I wan't to hit the big one to set him back a ways.

Comment

The only solution here is to wait. Eventually, one or both of the MPPs with expire. If it's just one, try signing an MPP of your own with the newly independent civ. This could very well give you a chance against the other two.
              KoH
              "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquistive idiots."

Comment

I hate to keep flogging this concept, but a tech lead in a non-AI-researched branch can do wonders.

AFAIK, *everything* in Civ3 has a price... you just need to be able to afford it.

The tech strategy I've been describing lately is just the thing here; get enough 'tech power' to postively influence attitude and reputation, bankrupt the target big AI civ, have some luxuries left over for bribery, and have enough goldola, and you can disrupt the geo-political situation to your heart's content.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

WooHoo!! This forum is so cool!

OK, so I take your advice and try to get MPP with the AI Civs Japan has MPPs with. Here is how I did it.....

I try the first time and they turn me down cold. I'm at Annoyed with both of them at this point. So I give them both spices for almost nothing in the next turn. At the start of the next turn they are both polite so I ask them again for the MMP and I give em both steam power for it and they accept! WooHoo! So I get all my workers out of the way and set up a few fortifications at the front with Japan. Next I call them up and ask them for a bunch of stuff but they refuse to go to war with me, no matter what I do, so I declare war on them and hunker down in my bunkers and wait for the rush. Sure enough, here they come the next turn and both Germany, and Russia declare war on Japan in the same turn. Next I call up the English and give them steam power if they go to war with Japan too and they accept!

Hehehehe!!! This game is so evil!

Anyway..... Japan is loosing cities all over the place, and everyone else loves me. I'm getting my share of Japans cities and I'm on my way to their capital to get all those Wonders they made while I was fighting off everyone at the start.

You all rock with the advice!

Comment

Working...
                  X