How often does the UN convene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often does the UN convene?

In my monarch game, the egyptians just built the UN. Since I am the biggest civ, I am up for election. Does anyone know how often the UN convenes?
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

I believe it is once every 10 or 20(not sure which) turns.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Of course if the Egyptians don't expect to win (assuming you're not them), they may never hold a vote at all.

Nathan

Comment

Every 20 turns the game asks the one who has the UN whether he wants to have an election. If he wants it, it convenes. If he doesn't, it won't for another 20 years. I've seen the AI postponing the election too, but in general you should have the UN built to avoid losing the game diplomatically

DeepO

Comment

The UN convenes once it is built, and then every 11th turn thereafter.

Comment

Thanks guys. I dont think that theres anychance for me to win. Everyone is furious with me, the game leader.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Lawrence, in that case starting a war is not a good option, as this will most likely gang the AIs together against you, or you should try to MPP a few of them against for instance Egypt to make sure it can't enlist allies for the UN. But winning by space race should still be possible, and the surest tactic should of course be to take the city that has built the UN

Aeson, I thought it was every 20 turns, but as it has been a while since I've been in that situation, I'll gladly take your point it is every 10...

DeepO

Comment

Is it 10 or 11 turns, Aeson? Or better: If the UN is completed and first convenes 1750AD, will it convene again on 1770AD or 1772AD?

Comment

Sir Ralph, in one way of counting 1770 AD would be the 11th turn: 1750-52-54-56-58-60-62-64-66-68-70... I suspect that Aeson meant this, it's the same as the Dutch saying: "I'll see you in 15 days", meaning that if today is a Tuesday, I'll see you in 2 weeks on Tuesday.

OTOH, I could be wrong again

DeepO

Comment

Every 11th turn. The only reason I know is that the GOTM Diplomatic victory is by highest score, and so milking to 2050 and timing the UN to give a vote then is quite important in that competition. Otherwise I just build the UN and forget about it.

So it should convene again in '72 in your example Sir Ralph.

Comment

damn... not a good thread for me to participate in...

Thanks Aeson for the clarification!

DeepO

Comment

I've felt the same way with some threads DeepO. One about captured workers way back when... ick!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepO
                          ...it's the same as the Dutch saying: "I'll see you in 15 days", meaning that if today is a Tuesday, I'll see you in 2 weeks on Tuesday.
                          That must be an exclusively Dutch saying. In German, we say "I'll see you in 14 days" under the same circumstances. EDIT: But strange... we say "See you in 8 days" if we mean a week, though. /EDIT

Thanks for clarification, Aeson. I always wondered, how the master milkers (talk about Sir Pleb and you) on CFC always timed the UN so well to have a vote in 2050AD.

Comment

I've actually screwed it up most of the time I try to time it right. I was off by 3 turns in GOTM02, 1 turn in my Zulu/HOF game... I can't add/subtract 11's.

I do suspect that Firaxis meant to have it every 10th turn, unless someone was just being mean! One of those off by zero errors that happen in programming so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                              That must be an exclusively Dutch saying. In German, we say "I'll see you in 14 days" under the same circumstances. EDIT: But strange... we say "See you in 8 days" if we mean a week, though. /EDIT
                              At least the French have something similar, and I think the Dutch saying comes from there: In French une quizaine (litteraly 15 days) means a fortnight. Plus, some Dutch dialects use the 8 days saying as well

Originally posted by Aeson
                              I do suspect that Firaxis meant to have it every 10th turn, unless someone was just being mean! One of those off by zero errors that happen in programming so much.
                              It would be logical to have it every 10 turns, so either somebody miscalculated, or they are mean... again

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                              X