Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you haven't discovered this, you're missing out on some serious gold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you watch the sequence closely, getting a new tech is about the first thing that happens after the AIs are finished with their turns. From what I can tell, that leaves time for the situation to change in between the time you choose a new tech (and possibly switch from the science advisor to the domestic advisor to adjust the science rate in the process) and the time the new turn starts.

Also note that if you plan to complete a lot of science improvements while researching a tech, it is best to start research relatively low and end relatively high rather than vice versa. That way your gold gets leveraged into more science. Just be careful that you don't trap yourself into a situation where you can't or cant afford to pump in enough gold to finish on schedule at the end.

One last thing worth mentioning for those who haven't tried it yet: in my experience, if you schedule the Theory of Evolution to complete the same turn you discover a new tech, you discover the tech before the ToE is finished. That means you can (for example), finish Combustion, shift to Atomic Theory, get that and Electronics from ToE, and then order research on Refining started all in one turn. Two full techs from ToE and no hiccup in the research schedule. Of course you have to be VERY careful not to finish ToE a turn early or finish the other research a turn late.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
      One last thing worth mentioning for those who haven't tried it yet: in my experience, if you schedule the Theory of Evolution to complete the same turn you discover a new tech, you discover the tech before the ToE is finished. That means you can (for example), finish Combustion, shift to Atomic Theory, get that and Electronics from ToE, and then order research on Refining started all in one turn. Two full techs from ToE and no hiccup in the research schedule. Of course you have to be VERY careful not to finish ToE a turn early or finish the other research a turn late.

Nathan
      Interesting! I've never had the guts to finish a tech the same turn I was due to complete the ToE -- struck me as too risky and I've never had the patience to reload and see what would happen.

Thanks for the tip - I think saving a turn on science research could be very important is certain circumstances!

Catt

Comment

I had the strange feeling beakers were spilling over into the next tech to some degree after 1.29.

Comment

I used to use this tactic quite a lot but recently I have become too lazy to check the sliders. The gold you can make though if one does check this often is definately worth it. Must discipline myself to get back into this habit again. Any extra gold you can get helps towards purchasing stuff.
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
            I used to use this tactic quite a lot but recently I have become too lazy to check the sliders. The gold you can make though if one does check this often is definately worth it. Must discipline myself to get back into this habit again. Any extra gold you can get helps towards purchasing stuff.
            I'm in the same boat. Have to get into the habit again cause once we have MP its on!

Comment

Hand raised as "last turn slider"

Comment

Working...
              X