Ever do this for fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever do this for fun

When you have conquered a huge continent. Become all powerful and the rest of the world is hopelessly behind.

Instead of upgrading all your knights to cavalry and conquering the rest of the world. Hold off and build some, go to democracy and wait until you get tanks for fun. Just to build up your mighty empire and see it flourish.

I dunno if this really hurts your score than maybe you should just conquer as quick as you can and finish everything off in the middle ages and restart a new game.

Probably should be posted in the General Discussions forum.

Comment

Maybe you should try playing on a higher level?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

ah ok, I'll post on the general board. I don't guess I can lock this topic.

I guess I could move up to emperor (Im playing monarch now). But massive AI cheats annoy me and at high diff levels they just cheat bigtime..but oh well maybe Ill move up.

Comment

Yeah, it's why I decided to stop playing at Regent.

Comment

I haven;t skipped Cavs, but I have skipped Knights.

Not using relative strength was PAINFUL, but the right thing at the time.

Arrian has done this several times, I think, in the way that Artifex describes.

Why should this not be in Strategy?
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
              Why should this not be in Strategy?
              The topic makes for an interesting discussion point (and I certainly mean no disrespect to Artifex), but I don't think the topic lends itself to a discussion of strategy or tactics. It strikes me as an invitation to share stories about particularly dominant / enjoyable games.

Catt

Comment

Catt, you know I agree with you 9 outta 10... and maybe the question as originally posed was a little specious... but I DO think there's a point to non-aggression strat like this.

Arrian does it sometimes when he's taken control of his continent, is in Medieval build mode, and is not yet ready for an intercontinental attack.

My gut response is "use relative strength while ya got it," but I can definitely see applications where delay is the better part of valor. This will be even more true in MP, where, like in Risk or Diplomacy, player actions will take on greater long-term geo-political meaning.

Kudos to Artifex, I think, for experimenting in concept.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Art,

Where are you from in Lex?

Comment

I'm from South Side of Lex Hamburg area.

Thanks theseus, Incidently. A funny thing happened in my current game. I was going to go peacneak awhile like mentioned. As I was researching Democracy and planning to switch over, until at least I discovered Cavalry and then reasses the situation and possibly stage a D-Day invasion of the other continent.

Then egypt declared war on me from across the oceans and it occured to me that with war weariness going on maybe democracy isn't a good idea...since I now have an active war but won't be able to travers the oceans for some time in my caravels. I was wanting to stay at peace but egypt demanded a ton of techs and proceeded to declare war on me against my best held hopes and wishes.

Now thinking about war weariness and democracy I have second thoughts about switching over to Demo at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X