Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hug a Tree

Hello

In every game I play, I have problems w/pollution and global warming. I never have any idea how to fix it. I'm not sure if this helps, but I never clear forests/jungles/etc. I figure this is the opposite of what humans have done to screw up the world, but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone know any good strategies to keep down on pollution?

Also, I think it is very stupid how we have to relive the mistakes of the western world everytime we play the game. There isn't really a technological route that I know of that uses efficient ways of production/energy until the modern ages, and by then it is too late. This is unrealistic. I believe that if civilizations like Japan during the 1100s to the 1600s or ancient China wouldn't have ever come in contact with the western world, they would have developed into very advanced civilizations that would be able to coexist w/nature and would have never used ways of production/energy that would have been unclean for the environment.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I believe that if civilizations like Japan during the 1100s to the 1600s or ancient China wouldn't have ever come in contact with the western world, they would have developed into very advanced civilizations that would be able to coexist w/nature and would have never used ways of production/energy that would have been unclean for the environment.

No. Incorrect. For a start the Chinese empire had been stagnating for 1000 years...what a crazy thing to say...
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

AFAIK tree's do not reduce pollution nor stop it/ slow it down.
      Strange, i don't see why though
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

alva: Trees subsist partially on C02.

John: Hate to disillusion you, but CivIII is not Earth. Whatever your views on RL civilization development and tech-driven despoilment, they have no bearing in the game. Forests and jungles are generally counter-productive, and should be cleared. Pollution and global warming are generally unavoidable.

Re China and Japan: Do some research... they were both actually on a track toward industrial development, and then for cultural reasons (not environmental) totally pulled back. And again, that's irrelevant here.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

hmm...

I never clear forests/jungles/etc. until I have discovered every tech that could reveal a resource there. I wouldn't want to destroy a resource before I'd discover it.

Sorry for saying crazy things Sean, I hope I didn't offend you. I don't know much about ancient history. I didn't know of China's pollution. But I won't change my mind about Japan. That was a civilization that could've become advanced (their civilzation changed over periods of time, unlike native Americans until they were influenced by westerners) and I doubt they wouldn't destroy nature like we did. Read a hakui (spelling?)! They were a big deal to Japan during that time. If a child wanted to master the art of the hakui (and a good amount wanted to, that wasn't extremely rare, correct me if/when I'm wrong) they would move in with an adult who had master the hakui and spend maybe the rest of their life doing it. I'm way off topic, but that doesn't sound to me like a civilization that would pollute much.

But as Theseus said, "That's irrelevant." I am much more interested in anti-pollution strategies than debated about Japan and China.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
            I never clear forests/jungles/etc. until I have discovered every tech that could reveal a resource there. I wouldn't want to destroy a resource before I'd discover it.
            Clearing forests or jungles will not render the tile unable to host certain resources -- if you clear forests or jungles, rubber can still appear on the tile.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by johncmcleod
              But as Theseus said, "That's irrelevant." I am much more interested in anti-pollution strategies than debated about Japan and China.
              I've only been playing a short time but the best solution I've come up with is using workers. A stack of workers can take care of the polution pretty quickly. I usually build mass transit when I get the tech but I haven't noticed if it helps out much.

Comment

...humm. In my latest game, I'm getting a ton of pollution squares, which I clean up in a move or two (with massive amounts of workers) but I still get a bunch of pollution causing massive degrading of squares, i.e. grassland to desert, etc).

...then I found out that the French had nuked the krappeux outta the Germans in thier little tif; virtually every German city had eight splattered squares around it (I thought at first the their war was so intense that the Germans didn't have time to clean up their pollution - then the Egyptians Nuked ME and I got 8 splattered squares).

Q to the board: Anyway to get the AI to "clean up their act"?

...NO? OK, I'll now go blow Cleo off the map...

Comment

Can't help it:

John, prior to turtling, Japan had more iron works, muskets, and cannons... and probably as much if not more pollution... than any country in the world.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Well see, we've just discovered a new civ trait: ecological.

Ecological civs build a geothermal energy plant instead of a coal plant. And a clean factory instead of factory. The improvements do the same thing but produce half the pollution.

Comment

Trees do actually help if you get global warming. If a forested tile is hit by pollution, the forest is knocked down rather than the base tile being degraded. The trick of course, it to get your forests hit by GW rather than your prime, developed land. (it seems to be random)
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

thanks catt

and Theseus: I probably should stop talking about Japan and China before I humiliate myself anymore but I had no idea that Japan had ironworks before Marco Polo came there in the 1200s. Ich bin sehr dumm!

Comment

Marco Polo went to Japan? I thought he stayed in what is now Mongolia and China... could be wrong, though.

DeepO

Comment

::nods to DeepO:: Wasn't that the lil' side trip he made with his buddy Baskin Robbins?

-=Vel=-
                            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

DeepO is confused... decides he's going to look for Baskin Robbins on the net... finds this .... DeepO is even more confused

Vel, could you explain what an ice-cream store has to do with Marco Polo? If it would have been a clothing store (Marco Polo is a kind of clothing around here), I could have more or less understood it, even if it would remain weird

You're sure you didn't hang out with Soren too much at your local bar? First Brigitte Bardot firing at the Chinese, now this

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                              X