New to the game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the game...

I've been reading the excellent strategy threads on this site and have come across a term over and over again and was hoping someone could help this newbie. What does "pop-rushing" mean? I'm assuming the literal translation is population rushing but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Thanks,

Kit

You are correct, and welcome! Under Despotism/Communism, if you wanna rush a building to completion, you don't use gold, you work citizens to death. Used to be an almost broken method of rushing your stuff to completion, but now that they fixed it, I'm not aware of many who make regular use of it.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I used it for the first time last night. I had a size six city( no aquaduct yet ), one happy, four content, and one entertainer. I had an extra worker I didn't need anymore so I thought I'd pop rush the library I was working on and then have the worker join the city. Well I did this and it pissed the people off. The worker I had join died to starvation the next turn, and then the next turn another guy died to starvation, so I was left with a size four city, two content and two entertainers. This pretty much ruined this city. So use pop rushing with caution.

Comment

I use it when waging early warfare. In order to keep my offensive rolling, I will poprush a spearman (after the 1 turn wait, obviously) to hold the city while my other troops move forward. This accomplishes two things: 1) provides a defender for the city, and 2) kills off a hostile unit of population, which will be replaced by my own people. This normally does not result in happiness problems because my warmongering will have provided several luxury resouces and also because the spearman will provide a military police anit-unhappiness bonus.

If playing a religious civ, I will often poprush to complete temples in towns producing 1 shield. I wait the 10 turns until the cost is 1 pop point, and then do it.

I almost never rush more than 1 pop point.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In captured cities, do you poprush Spears first, or Temples?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Spears first, believe it or not. Back when poprushing was still quasi-broken (40 shields for first pop point), I'd do temples first. But now spears. I normally have a good culture lead anyway. Spears have three functions (defense, mil. police, some defense vs. flippage). 1 foreign pop point is a small price to pay...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Note to self: Good move for a fastmover offense.

This is a very good idea for Horsemen and even Knight attacks.

When I send out Archers or Sword-level units, I prefer to accompany with a vet Spear.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Personnaly i try not to poprush ( the inhumanity !!! ) .
                only will do it when desperate
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                X