Ultimate Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King,

Yeah, archers are more subject to bad RNG rolls, but I was killing English regular archers. 2 v. 1.1, 5hp to 3hp. I was pretty safe. I almost lost the archer ARMY though, to a regular spearman. The UBERspearman dropped my 12hp army to 1hp before finally expiring. That scared the hell outta me.

I too prefer Japan, and have had really dominating games with them. Unfortunately, I'm terrible about saving games periodically - I typically work off of 1 save that I save over - so none of those games are well documented. 1 or 2 of them approach this level of dominance, but none can match 12 leaders.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Ok, some topics for discussion:

1) the first leader... should I have instead used him on the Pyramids, which the Americans ended up building? That was one of the blemishes on this game... I lacked the Pyramids until I captured Washington. It would have speeded up my already speedy expansion and development, but would have cost me some of my later leaders. As it turns out, of course, it poured leaders, so I could've spared a few.

2) should I have switched to a republic at some point?

I have the saves from 3450BC, 420AD, 800AD, 940AD, 1275AD, 1465AD, and 1685AD. I've posted the 1685 save. It might be interesting to take the 1275 save, finish France, make contact, but try to maintain peaceful relations with America and the Iroquois... aiming for a late industrial or modern age showdown (this would require selling/gifting techs, as they are well behind).

If there is interest, I can post any of those saves when I get home tonight.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

First, great game.

Second, aren't you a little vulnerable leaving Hiawatha with saltpeter?
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Great game, Arrian.

And Theseus: At the current situation (zero food surplus) Hia has no hope to build a worker to connect the resource. So he has nothing.

Comment

Sir Ralph,

Theseus is joking, I'm sure. Though it didn't show up on the screenshot, I'm pretty sure that island also had oil. Uh-oh! I'm shakin!

I think he pop-rushed the rifleman or something, because the city is using an entertainer. He could at least generate one more shield by putting that citizen to work, but apparently the town would riot. I helped, of course, by destroying all of the city and terrain improvements through artillery bombardment before withdrawing my forces.

I love that he's building a galleon when he's totally surrounded by privateers. Clearly, it doesn't matter what he builds, but I find the galleon funny.

-Arrian

Comment

I think your use of the first GL was right on target. You knew by then that you would be fighting many many battles until you had secured the continent, and thus had a decent shot of getting a good, quick payback.

I don't think the Pyramids would have done much for you, as I'm sure you reached 6 pop in your cities very quickly anyway.

I DO think the GLs which allowed positioning of the FP and the Palace strengthened your production quite a bit.

Well played.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Yep, just joking.

About Hiawatha, though: What's that city on that it's generating 5 gpt?

Comment

Theseus,

Perhaps true, although many of my cities were on rivers, and so didn't stop at size 6 (yet another reason my economy was strong). My forbidden palace area was also loaded with rivers.

The FP really couldn't have been in a better spot. My only gripe is that it came kinda late (330AD). I'm still looking for a game where, by some stroke of luck and/or genius, I'm able to get a well-placed FP VERY early (like 1000bc). Just imagine how big a boost that would be.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                    Yep, just joking.

About Hiawatha, though: What's that city on that it's generating 5 gpt?
                    You know, I was just thinking the same thing.

It might be the oil I was talking about. I can check tonight. I don't think it's a golden age (he tried to kill things with his MW's, but failed, IIRC).

-Arrian

EDIT: ok, I checked the saved game, and oddly enough the city is built on a normal desert tile. There is no oil (perhaps one shifted there between the save and the time I won). So I don't know what's causing the high trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      EDIT: ok, I checked the saved game, and oddly enough the city is built on a normal desert tile. There is no oil (perhaps one shifted there between the save and the time I won). So I don't know what's causing the high trade.
                      Alexman just posted this response in another thread:

Originally posted by Alexman
                      The center tile:

* Produces exactly two food for all terrain.
                      * Uses terrain shield production, but has a one-shield-minimum.
                      * Uses terrain commerce production. Includes road commerce bonus, if appicable to the terrain. Capital produces four commerce minimum(new to 1.21f, and subject to government penalty).
                      * If size 7+, produces one extra shield and one extra commerce.
                      * If size 13+, produces yet another shield and another commerce. On top of that, but only for this size, commercial civs produce an extra commerce, and Industrious produce an extra shield.

Despotism/Anarchy tile penalty applies as for any other tile.
                      Emphasis added.

Very nice game

Comment

Thanks for the info Catt.

Here is another game that comes close to "ultimate power." The key differences are that this time, I'm the Japanese and thus am running a democracy, and that the overseas AI's are much stronger. They have managed to stay peaceful, which means there are no convenient openings for me to establish a foothold.

I discovered this game today. For some reason, I never played it out. I think I was annoyed with the Palace/FP placement - my empire is nowhere near as efficient as I'd like. Talk about economic power, though...

-Arrian
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: Hiawatha's commerce

Thanks Catt, that covers 4 gpt... the last is probably some resource.

Re: GA

Or it might be from a GA... if not, congrats Arrian for TOTALLY shutting Hiawatha down. I've done that a couple of times to Rome and Persia... how satisfying!

Re: Early FP

I swear to god I dream about Civ (I know, many do), and my dream come true will be Pyramids and HE prior to 1000BC... I'm gonna propose that as one of the Best challenges. [Note, not FP... way too early, at least that's what I think]

Again, well done game.

Comment

Theseus,

I've had the Pyramids that early, but not the Pyramids AND the HE. That would be amazing... the stuff of dreams to be sure. Imagine, however, being able to rush a "perfect" forbidden immediately once the option is there. Let's say 1000BC. The power of that!

Someday...

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                              Re: Hiawatha's commerce

Thanks Catt, that covers 4 gpt... the last is probably some resource.
                              The road bonus covers the last gold piece - each city gets the beenfits of a road in the city tile.

Comment

Actually, the road bonus is included in the 4 commerce minimum. I think the extra commerce must come from the Republic/Democracy bonus.

Comment

Working...
                                X