Recycling Blitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling Blitz

Recycling is one of those dead end techs that doesn't offer that much seemingly. Recycling centers can't completely wipe out pollution, and the bad pollution is population based anyways. So why spend the research here?

One answer is that Recycling is a very powerful conquest tool, especially on higher difficulty levels were your culture might be lacking. To quell resistance in a size 20-30 city of a civ with more culture than you is a very hazardous undertaking. This is where Recycling comes in.

After you have Recycling, every sold improvement gives back shields as well. These high danger culture cities will invariably have plenty of improvements left after you capture them. Use the shields from improvements to rush settlers even while in resistance. As long as the production box is full the settler will still be produced on the next turn.

Since cities never flip on the first turn, this makes it easy to keep hold of your new territory. Move the Settler to the tile towards enemy territory while the captured city is still there, then disband the captured city (sell off the rest of the improvements first) and build your new city in enemy territory, pushing their borders further back. Now your Tanks/Modern Armor are one tile closer to the next city than they would have been otherwise. And your new city will be culture free, with no resistance, greatly decreasing the chance that it will flip back.

Your Armies are now free to continue the conquest, instead of stuck trying to repress an uprising. It's almost as effective as a ROP violation, but without the reputation cost.

Re: Recycling Blitz

Originally posted by Aeson
    After you have Recycling, every sold improvement gives back shields as well.
    Is that the trigger? I never knew (and often wondered) why I get only gold most times when I could definitely remember getting gold and shields at other times.

Excellent tip that I haven't seen anywhere before.

Catt

Comment

Aeson, are you really Jeff in disguise?
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
        If I am, I certainly would hope for a free copy of PtW!! And I shouldn't have had to pay for CivIII in the first place... And how in the world didn't I make it onto the beta test team?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
          if he was, would he be giving us useful information??

Comment

No comment.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

only joking.

for the record : I love everybody at Firaxis for giving us this marvellous game they call Civ3; destroyer of boredom, social life and relationships.

now if you'll excuse me I'll go away...

Comment

Aeson, I was sure you were on beta. For a while you disappeared, and I figured that was why.

OT: Did you find a reference to the Recycling benefit somewhere, or did you just figure it out?

Lemme see if I got this right:

1. Capture big city.
                2. Sell most costly improvement immediately. Set to build Settler.
                3. Next turn (no flip): Settler is built. Disband city. Build new city.

I did not know that cities never flip on the first turn.

BTW: Deep Blue = IBM chess computer

Comment

My thanks. Will apply this advice in Egypt. Soon.
                  Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Ah. I knew that! Just thought you were talking about a person and didn't make the connection. I'm a terrible chess player btw.

Your ordering looks right. You can use your own pre-built settlers to achieve the same thing before recycling, it just isn't quite as efficient. Does allow for faster overall conquests though to not have to wait a turn. One of the reasons to always keep a few settlers around.

OT: Did you find a reference to the Recycling benefit somewhere, or did you just figure it out?

I always wondered why sometimes I got shields and others I didn't when disbanding improvements, finally decided to figure out why. Mainly because I wanted to work this tactic into my current game.

It probably is documented somewhere in the manual and in some of the posts here, but I haven't seen it. In the editor I just looked for any option on techs or governments that would fit the bill. The only one that looked like it might fit was the "Enables Recycling" advance option that is of course checked for Recycling. I ran a little test to check and that was the trigger.

I did not know that cities never flip on the first turn.

I've never had a city flip on the first turn. It may not be 100% reliable, but if it isn't, it's very very close to it.

Comment

How do u disband a city fast? Just starving the population takes a lot of time.

Comment

Great tactic! Not exactly suited for all purposes (wasn't it so that disbanding a conquered city is a bit of a diplomatic attrocity?), but very powerful. I'll certainly try it out.

DeepO

Comment

You disband a city by chhosing it from the menu. It happens isntantly with no diplomatic penalty. The city just disappears (no settlers/workers).
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

And there you have it, kids: It's good to recycle!

Comment

Very nice.....i was playing a gamre recent;ly where the AI was all along my southern border, i mean a really long stretch. I didnt have the resources to hold cities without losing ground. It was really turning into a war of attrtion, so i was trying to move fast and wipe them out. So, for the most part, I was razing cities along the way, with the intent to rush settlers after the peace and send em south. but almost immediately, my allies were doing the same, so at best it would have been a motley assembly of cities down there. But youre tactic looks pretty sound. Any ideas on how to wring just a little more from the cities before you cut em loose? It just seems like such a waste.

And also, would you do this if there was say, a wonder in that city? I really dont think I would...Unless it was outdated or something.
                              DEVM SVM
                              I cant think of anything else intelligent...except, check out my alternate history page:
                              Roma Invicta

Comment

Working...
                              X