Advance warning of culture flip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance warning of culture flip?

I tried to play a bit of the German mini-tourney game today, and experienced a strange problem. I had a size 3 city, Hastings, which had been captured from the English. Two shields were in the box. I decided to pop-rush a library, and was told "this will cost the lives of too many citizens". I should have been able to sacrifice two citizens to build the library. After some fiddling, I finally gave up and ended my turn. Well, Hastings immediately flipped back to the English!

Coincidence? Perhaps, or maybe I'm missing something obvious. But I'm suspicious that somehow the city was already in some altered state that kept me from rushing the library.

In case it matters: after loading the save file, I made peace with the Russians in exchange for Vladivostok, their world map, and 25 gold. I moved my warriors out of English territory, and moved most of my active swordsmen toward London.
    Attached Files

We need more hard evidence than that, I think. Interesting obsercation though. Are you sure you didn't just have resistors?
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

In 1.21f you aren't allowed to pop rush more than half your pop points in a city. You need a size 4 city to rush 2 citizens, size 6 for 3, ect.

Comment

Rush workers to squish the native population, then build your own cultural improvements
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Aeson - thanks for the explanation; I missed that change somehow.

Comment

I've noticed some too, so thought I'd throw this out:

Just before a flip, the AI seems to move a unit next to my culture boundry...

This has happened several times when I was Roman on my Roman cities (when I was very behind on culture).

Anyone else see this? Or was I drinking too much leaded water?

Comment

Originally posted by Geekinstein
              I've noticed some too, so thought I'd throw this out:

Just before a flip, the AI seems to move a unit next to my culture boundry...

This has happened several times when I was Roman on my Roman cities (when I was very behind on culture).

Anyone else see this? Or was I drinking too much leaded water?
              I've experienced enough culture flips to think that there's NO real link between an AI unit's move toward your culture boundry.

Don't drink and play

AJ
              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
              - emperor level all time
              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

The AI just "patrols" with its units, and often ends up with some next to the border (which I happen to think is stupid. They should be in cities or fortified on moutains and hills. But that's another matter). No relation to culture flipping.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If youre looking for a warning of a culture flip though, check out your borders. If they are solid, then cities on the other side have little chance. If they are not so solid and barely there, watch out.
                  "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X